St. Patrick's Day Caddis Catawba

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 26, 2018, 14:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

2018 -14

The Rhody called with reports of caddis on the Catawba. So we made plans for a late morning float. On the road before sunrise, I arrived at the put-in about 10 minutes early, however, my phone rang and I shoulda been at the take-out! My bad.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

It was a busy day on the river some were already on the water and several were launching with us. These stoners from Charlotte were backing the boat up and I hollered over, "Ya might want to put your anchor on!" But they continued on and almost put the boat in before pulling it out again and hooking up the anchor!

We came upon another boat anchored up in the hatchery supported waters, which are closed until april 1. An angler was hooked up with an stogger, and Rhody hollered out that they were fishing in closed waters. The thanked us and reeled in as we moved on down.

The water was up and as we got down past muddy creek I began tossing the silk kitty, working on my double haul I managed to get a pune brownie to strike.

I got several more hits, but no more to the net and then we moved on down to the flats where fish were rising as the river fell out. Rhody whacked there asses and I caught a few on dries as well. It was St. Patty's Day so we drank some Guinness to celebrate. The fish were mostly punes and no more fish photos were taken.

We pulled out about dusk. Many fish were caught, but I suspect that the real action had taken place in the riffles towards the end of the day.

Good times, thanks for the invite and lets go again, BTW I think you have my rod sock!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Good to see Jamie out and about.
You, not so much.

0:0
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006