News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Oh crap!

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 15, 2018, 06:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Whirling disease has been confirmed in Rainbow and Brown trout on the South Holston and Watauga tailwaters.  Annual routine testing currently indicate that all TWRA hatchery facilities are disease free!

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency biologists will begin collecting trout in tailwaters across the state and within the South Holston and Watauga watersheds to determine the disease's current distribution.   

https://www.tn.gov/twra/fishing/whirling-disease.html

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stone-Man

I talked to a TWRA biologist today about this and he says that it most likely came from N.C. on somebodies waders.
TWRA has set up some wader cleaning stations on a few creeks. But the tailraces that are controlled by the fed and the Army Corp of Engineers do not have them yet because the Fed is very cold to the idea of having chemical baths set up on Federal property. He says that the TWRA is going to do stuff like Angler Awareness seminars at fishing and school clubs.  Unfortunately there is no known cure for this disease at present.
Several of our board members like JMiller know TWRA biologists and possibly can shed a little more light on what the continuing plan is going to be

JT

plowboy

Does anyone know what you should do if one is caught ? I watched the news release and they did not discuss what to do if you did. I normally practice catch and release, I did catch one last year on the South Holston.