VA WILD TROUT MANAGEMENT PROGRAM

Started by natureboy, February 07, 2018, 09:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natureboy

QuoteThe Virginia Council of Trout Unlimited (VCTU) will be meeting Saturday (2/10/18) at the JMU Festival and Conference Center, Allegheny Room, in Harrisonburg. Paul Bugas and Steve Reeser (VDGIF) will be taking comments on "Managing Wild Trout in Virginia" in preparation for a Wild Trout Management Plan.

The meeting is scheduled from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. and will include a buffet-style lunch. All TU members and interested anglers are welcome.

For more information about VCTU or this meeting, contact Kevin Daniels (2educ8rs@gmail.com) or Tom Benzing (benzintr@jmu.edu).

Short notice, but just saw this posted on the FB...

Big J

Quote from: natureboy on February 07, 2018, 09:24:39 AM
QuoteThe Virginia Council of Trout Unlimited (VCTU) will be meeting Saturday (2/10/18) at the JMU Festival and Conference Center, Allegheny Room, in Harrisonburg. Paul Bugas and Steve Reeser (VDGIF) will be taking comments on "Managing Wild Trout in Virginia" in preparation for a Wild Trout Management Plan.

The meeting is scheduled from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. and will include a buffet-style lunch. All TU members and interested anglers are welcome.

For more information about VCTU or this meeting, contact Kevin Daniels (2educ8rs@gmail.com) or Tom Benzing (benzintr@jmu.edu).

Short notice, but just saw this posted on the FB...

Wish I didn't have plans Saturday so I could go to this. 

Dougfish

Going.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

The Dude

Doug, would you mind representing me at said meeting?

Wild trout management plan 101 (abridged version):
No rainbows. Only browns and brookies. Peace out, bitches {mic drop}.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Dee-Vo

This is interesting. For those that attend, I'd appreciate any information brought from the meeting.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: The Dude on February 07, 2018, 11:11:01 AM
Doug, would you mind representing me at said meeting?

Wild trout management plan 101 (abridged version):
No rainbows. Only browns and brookies. Peace out, bitches {mic drop}. Only brookies OR browns/rainbows, and browns/rainbows in tailwaters only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Yallerhammer

Fuck them nazi Euro-trouts. Rotenone them bitches.  :;!
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

Brown trout are the white man's trout. Enough said

Dougfish

I don't discriminate. But, my brookies deserve not to be purposely trampled on by the white man.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Yallerhammer

I actually like catching all of them, but I do have a soft spot in my heart for specks.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Phil

Quote from: Yallerhammer on February 10, 2018, 08:18:55 AM
I actually like catching all of them, but I do have a soft spot in my heart for specks.

'c;   y;

I'm not anti-rainbow like some people around here.

Dougfish

We were presented with the draft of the program yesterday. It was pretty remarkable that they shared this with the "public" at this early stage.
They obviously value the input and resources of the state TU. They are moving fast on this and what they have so far is impressive.
Some background:
About 43 years ago, the game commission began it's first study of wild trout populations. Streams were identified, sampled and studied.
Since then, the study has grown to 2,300 miles of 707 streams. Over 2,200 miles are brook trout water. Much of that is exclusively brook trout.
But there is no comprehensive modern management or angler plan. That is what is starting now.
3 years ago, VA restructured it's stocked trout program with a lot of angler input. This plan's process will somewhat mirror that one's. Just faster.
After another few months of staff and stakeholder work, a public survey will be conducted. I do not expect public meetings around the state. Just an on line survey. After the survey, a final draft will be presented to the VDGIF board in October. If approved, new regulations, new protections, new management plans, new stocking restrictions, new licensing and etc. will be set for 2019 and forward.
This is a big deal for us who fish wild waters. This will affect the states three tailwaters, also. They hold wild fish, too.
I'll keep you informed.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,