Smith River TU meeting Thurs, March 1st - "Tying Smith River Specials"

Started by Al, February 06, 2018, 14:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

It is time to get your fly boxes sorted out, tie a few replacements for what you lost last year and then start hitting the water. We have a fly tying theme lined up on March 1st to help get you on your way.

Smith River Trout Unlimited (SRTU) will hold it's quarterly meeting on Thursday, March 1, 2018,  6:30 p.m., at Rania's Restaurant, 147 Main St, Martinsville VA .  This meeting will feature the tying skills of at least one celebrity tier and several chapter members demonstrating how to tie flies which enjoy success on the Smith River.  Fly patterns may include the Wig Z Midge, Kreelex Streamer, Puff Daddy Dry Fly, Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle and the Smith River Allieworm. Fly pattern material lists and pictures of the patterns will be available to take home. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own vises and either follow along or show off their own skills as they tie their favorite fly.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

22midge

see yea tomorrow with some squirmy wormys..... mop flies & egg patterns. Everyone be safe travelling.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Dougfish

Hahaha.
Our master tier speaks.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

22midge

master tier my ass ...I guess you couldn't find a real bug slinger for the meeting
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Al

Quick update - We had and excellent meeting with several tyers showing their skills. Had a good crowd with several "newbies" in attendance.  PeeWee did an great job at center table.  PW generously donated a box of flies and a large hook box for our raffle which was won by yours truely  ;D  (1st time I have won anything in age - thanks PW)

22midge

Sorry AL but it was not me that donated the hook box and flies.......I believe it was Eric that donated them. I put 4 books into the kitty. Thanks for the chance to show a few hairballs that catch fish.

Al

Quote from: 22midge on March 02, 2018, 21:25:12 PM
Sorry AL but it was not me that donated the hook box and flies.......I believe it was Eric that donated them. I put 4 books into the kitty. Thanks for the chance to show a few hairballs that catch fish.

Well I stand corrected (1st time I have been wrong in years :o ) - However, PW did go through his "hairball" box and gave me some of his favorites for the Smith and the Holston. That was generous of him and very much appreciated.