News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Turkey Calls?

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, January 29, 2018, 12:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I'm interested in opinions on turkey calls (not mouth), particularly calls that will function in extremely wet weather.

Last spring was my first year of hunting gobblers, if you remember, and I am hooked!  I messed up on several birds, but one screw up really bothers me.  I had a bird gobbling its head off, answering me regularly, I was calling as best a rookie could, and THEN it starting raining like pouring pee from a boot.  My slate no longer worked, went to a mouth call, and sounded like a Hoo wailing after one of their football games.  End of hunt.

New 20 gauge Mossberg and now need new calls – or do I?

Thanks!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

JMiller

If you like pot calls, a crystal with a carbon or an acrylic striker will work fine.

Something like this, although mine is a different brand.
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Crystal-Friction-Slate-Turkey/dp/B00FSVN8KK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1517248069&sr=8-11&keywords=crystal+slate+call

I have a waterproof box call as well. This one:

https://www.ebay.com/i/263463337580?rt=nc

I've killed birds with both, but neither sound as good as a non-waterproof call IMO.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Dougfish

Go fishing!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

hopper

contact Jason at Bent Mountain Game Calls.  http://www.bentmountaingamecalls.com/friction-pot-calls.html

He builds some out of copper and glass.  When mixed with the right striker they will work when wet.
If you hunt with your kids you will never have to hunt for you kids.

Michael Toris

If you're gonna hunt in the rain, better get good on a mouth call. I love the sweet sound of slate, but rain does a number on them. I think K&H made an aluminum pot call which sounded good and did good in the rain.

What strikers you running? I've found they make a bigger deal than most let on.

Yallerhammer

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Michael Toris

Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 29, 2018, 19:17:52 PM
Wing bone calls.
I've used a coffee stirrer a couple of times and made one sound off.

NCsporksman

I bought some fancy African wood striker for my pot call, lost it almost as quickly as I lost the 4 others, the ball cap diahgphram holder keeps me in the game, I'm so jazzed

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk