• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
October 28, 2021, 01:51:38 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

I Went, I Shouldn't Have.

Started by Onslow, January 21, 2018, 18:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

January 21, 2018, 18:58:43 PM Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 20:50:22 PM by Onslow

I had hoped to go to a place where the water temps were somewhat augmented by man made activity, but management gave some lame ass excuse as to why I couldn't fish there today.  I had a couple other places I kinda wanted to explore.  Plan B would have sucked in hindsight, plan C may have actually worked.  Being a bit risk averse, I chose none of the above, and headed off to a stream that has never let me down..ever.

The low temps in Galax were supposed to be in the upper 30s.  Many of the backyard reporting stations were in the upper teens to mid twenties.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="533" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="533" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Some of the largest deer turdage I've run accross.

I knew there would be ice, but...damn

Should've  waited until 3 PM to hit the water, but I needed to wash some cars in the afternoon, and check the hives.

Had a couple hits, spooked up one about 14".

Unfortunately an otter was spotted today.  It was a solid 20 pounds or better.  This is the first I've seen on this stream, and this is my most liked flow :'(

About 11:30, I threw in the towel here.  I thought perhaps a larger stream with more pasture in the watershed would have warmer water.

The next destination was 12 miles downstream.  More private water.  I cannot confirm there is a substantial population of wild browns, but I hoped one show itself.

It was necessary to hike down a trib for about 3/4 of a mile to get to the place I wanted to fish.  This stream is a brookie creek according to the DGIF.  It was a bit larger than I was expecting.  Lots of nice pools, but I was carrying  a streamer rod for the big flow.  On my way down, I crashed through some ice, and dropped about 28".  This unexpected breakthrough resulted in my breaking 24" of my rod.  This happened just above the confluence.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="400" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

So I tried to fish with the broken rod hitting some eddies and such.  Notice the ice debris on the bank.  Some of these chunks were 8" thick.  This was the most miserable fishing situation.  Most of the ice was to weak to walk on, and submerged chunks were everywhere.

The main pool I wanted to fish.

I think there are some browns in there, lol.

driver

Better than my day of fishing, as i couldn't go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NCsporksman

Got dam dude, hardcore casual with this guy

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Dougfish

Jeebus.  :o

Well, you've got the broken rod of 2018 out of your system, early.  n!n

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " -Oddball, 1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

Damn. That's why I don't usually even try right now. Re: otters-those bitches have about wiped out the two-handed trout in the Smokies. Every other rock is a pile of fish bones and crawfish hulls. I think the punes are the only ones that can escape them, and they get enough of them. This one I caught last year way up a feeder seems to have gotten lucky:

Women want me, doughbellies fear me.<br /><br />Little Debbie Prostaff

Big J

I would be real tempted to shoot an otter on a brookie stream if I ran across him. 

Onslow

This particular otter was not terribly bright. it was running about on a sheet of ice for a bit. You could have plugged his ass full of holes, and I would have given you a Ben Franklin for doing it.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on January 22, 2018, 16:45:25 PM

This particular otter was not terribly bright. it was running about on a sheet of ice for a bit. You could have plugged his ass full of holes, and I would have given you a Ben Franklin for doing it.

Nice icy photos. Enjoyed them.

Not terribly bright?  Compared to what?  They like scurrying and tobogganing on ice.

Otters are really cool critters, and have made a comeback in my neck-of-the-woods.  I doubt I could shoot one.

https://blog.wildlife.virginia.gov/2016/03/the-river-otter-one-of-virginias-great-conservation-success-stories/

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 22, 2018, 17:06:32 PM

Quote from: Onslow on January 22, 2018, 16:45:25 PM

Nice icy photos. Enjoyed them.

Not terribly bright?  Compared to what?  They like scurrying and tobogganing on ice.

Otters are really cool critters, and have made a comeback in my neck-of-the-woods.  I doubt I could shoot one.

https://blog.wildlife.virginia.gov/2016/03/the-river-otter-one-of-virginias-great-conservation-success-stories/

They are very cool critters, no doubt, and I enjoy watching them and admire them.

But-they play absolute  hell on a trout stream, especially the bigger trout, in places where they are protected. I feel much the same about otters and coywolves-mixture of admiration and desire to kill.

An otter is the toughest thing to skin that I have ever peeled, I can tell you that. Only critter that you have to cut every fraction of an inch of hide off of-no pulling at all. And they have probably the best fur/pelt of any critter out there.

Women want me, doughbellies fear me.<br /><br />Little Debbie Prostaff

BrookieHunter

I give you a big thumbs up for getting out in those conditions, I tried some DH water two days after that arctic cold and only found two areas with moving water.

p;- Otters

Woolly Bugger

nice frozen flicks, sorry about the rod #ohsnap  :(

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Good to see you out covering ground, Kenneth. Rock on.

#CommissionsEarned