News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itieuglyflies

Someone please define for me exactly what qualifies a gun as an "assault weapon"?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: itieuglyflies on October 28, 2023, 18:56:58 PMSomeone please define for me exactly what qualifies a gun as an "assault weapon"?

From the 2003 Factsheet: Assault Weapons, provided by the US Dept of Justice's Office of Justice Programs.

Assault weapon is defined as a civilian, semiautomatic version of a military weapon.

This from 2003.  Is this today's definition?  Damned if I know! 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

America's rifle fetish is destroying its sense of freedom

"(The AR-15) is an icon. It's a symbol of freedom." That is how gun manufacturers have promoted the rifle -- not as a tool for hobbyists and sportsmen but as a lifestyle accessory that stands for freedom, individualism and masculine self-sufficiency.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Jamelle Bouie is a New York Times columnist. He was the chief political correspondent for Slate magazine and is based in Charlottesville, Va., and Washington.

In Anthony Mann's 1950 Western "Winchester '73," a rare and much-desired Winchester rifle brings misery and death to the unlucky souls who manage to bring it into their possession. In the West as brought to you by Mann — and his star, a troubled and morally ambiguous Jimmy Stewart — the gun isn't a symbol of freedom as much as it is a curse, destined to ruin everyone who covets its power.

It was a theme echoed that year in the Joseph H. Lewis noir "Gun Crazy," a take of sorts on the story of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow. Our protagonists in this film are two young people so enamored of the power of guns — and the freedom they seem to provide — that they go on a wanton spree of theft and murder. It ends, predictably, with their own deaths.

In both films, guns become truly dangerous when they become a fetish: an object worshipped for its supposed power and symbolic meaning. Guns, Mann and Lewis seem to say, aren't actually totems of freedom or liberty or youth; they are instruments of death and should be treated accordingly.

I thought of both movies last week during the search for Robert Card, the 40-year-old suspect in a mass shooting that killed 18 people at a bar and bowling alley in Lewiston, Maine.

https://www.wral.com/story/america-s-rifle-fetish-is-destroying-its-sense-of-freedom/21125061/

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Wife is on Facebook and showed me this.  Enjoy.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

rbphoto

And then there is the lesser known history of Revolutionary-era firearms . . .

https://www.rockislandauction.com/riac-blog/assault-weapons-before-the-second-amendment

And that doesn't include private ownership of artillery pieces, which was not uncommon:

"Early gunnery was an art practiced almost entirely by civilians." Encyclopedia Brittanica, 14th Edition, 1938, Volume 2, p 464

Interesting article about Revolutionary War Artillery at https://www.jstor.org/stable/40578214?read-now=1&oauth_data=eyJlbWFpbCI6InJheW1vbmQuYmVubmV0dC41MjVAZ21haWwuY29tIiwiaW5zdGl0dXRpb25JZHMiOltdLCJwcm92aWRlciI6Imdvb2dsZSJ9&seq=21#page_scan_tab_contents

You have to register, but it's free and you can read up to 100 articles per month without payment.

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!