Photo Chromatic (Gets darker and lighter?) lens for sunglasses

Started by troutboy_II, December 13, 2017, 16:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutboy_II

When I was wearing contacts, I used a pair of Guides Choice that would lighten up when I got under heavy cover and darken in the bright sun.  Loved those sunglasses.  Now that I am an old fart and wear progressive lens all the time (no more contacts) I have been looking for a similar darkening/lightening lens to use with my prescription.  Optometrist sez Transition glass will do what I want, but seems like I heard mixed reviews on these in the past.  Anybody using Transition lens for fishing with your prescription glasses and how do they work?  Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I did get a pair of "regular" tint lens for prescription glasses, but they were too dark late in the day or under heavy cover.  Since I bushwhack a good deal, being under heavy cover is a fairly regular thing and these just didn't get the job done.

Any suggestions about a solution on the glasses (I'm sure there might be other suggestions, but please focus...) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Michael Toris

I would be very wary of transitional fishing lenses. If they work, great. If not, I would expect them to be a pain in the butt.

Phil

I have transitional lenses on my bifocal glasses. No polarization, so they don't help seeing into the water.  I have to wear a pair of polarized Fitovers over them.

tomato can

I am intersted in the result of this thread.  My perscription sunglasses are often too dark for brookie fishing.

troutrus

I tried all the options and now I have been using flip up clip on sunglasses on my regular prescription glasses for years. Handy, effective, and cheap.

clip-on flip-up sunglasses

Phil

Quote from: troutrus on December 14, 2017, 07:05:24 AM
I tried all the options and now I have been using flip up clip on sunglasses on my regular prescription glasses for years. Handy, effective, and cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/clip-on-flip-up-sunglasses/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aclip-on%20flip-up%20sunglasses

I tried the polarized flip-ups as well, but found that they scratched my expensive glasses after taking 'em off and putting 'em on several times. Ended up just wearing the Fitovers and putting 'em on top of my hat (with the temples still behind my ears) when in very shady areas. Not great, but all options are pretty much a pain in the ass. Your mileage may vary....

Dougfish

Another progressive bifocal guy. I have a pair of brown polarized prescription sun glasses for fishing. I'd rather have them make it too dark then get blinded without. I just don't like the idea of transitions changing on me when creeping up a stream.
I'm slated for cataract surgery in Feb.
Hoping for much better vision correction after that. Still planning on my usual two pairs of glasses.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

"Hoping for much better vision correction after that. Still planning on my usual two pairs of glasses."
I get you, Doug. This subject has been an issue with me all my adult life, and is especially true with fishing. I only have one eye, and limited vision in that one. Seeing into the water is crucial. As I said, all options seem to be pretty much a pain in the ass.  b';

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on December 14, 2017, 09:19:57 AM
Still planning on my usual two pairs of glasses and then leaving one of the pairs in the car and complaining the whole day because I left the pair I really needed in the car.

Fixed

Native Fisher

Dougfish

Assholes I outfish.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Native Fisher

Quality over quantity.  One day my work/scouting/honeydo requirements will let me fish again.

Dougfish

Quote from: Native Fisher on December 14, 2017, 13:05:00 PM
Quality over quantity.  One day my work/scouting/honeydo requirements will let me fish again.
Lol. Left you present today @ the slave quarters (your house).

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

troutboy_II

Transitions have a new polarized version so an additional Fit-over would not be needed.

I loved my guide's Choice with photo chromatic lens.  Never found the change of darkening was noticeable - just worked.  Phil, if Transitions have worked for you, except for lack of polarization, that would be helpful to know.  It would be easier to go that route.  Smith does do prescription, but I haven't found out if they will do them with photo chromatic lens.

Thanks.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Phil

"Transitions have a new polarized version so an additional Fit-over would not be needed."

I didn't know that. I'm two years overdue on buying new glasses, so will check it out in January. That could be a great answer. Thanks for the info!  /'/