News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Mudwall/ Dayumson

Started by troutfanatic, December 06, 2017, 21:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfanatic

Is the major field exam a requirement? Wasn't planning on taking it. One faculty member acting like it is. Not going further in biology, per se. Medicine.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

For business majors at VT, yes, might be required, but I don't think it is required for others.  I could be mistaken. 

You took the GRE or MCAT, correct?  Why the hell would you be required to take another damned test?   Tell the "faculty member" you'll take the field test if he/she takes the common sense exam.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

troutfanatic

We do think alike  0:0.

I scored high enough on the GRE to get interviews at 3 of the 4 programs I applied to. The fourth one, was more of a "hold my beer" moment. I applied to see if they would even entertain my application as it is the top program in the nation. I have a high GPA but mediocre GRE score. I can do stats all day. Get me above algebra and I am out of my comfort zone.

I may take it, but I have no intention of studying for it, and I'd have no idea what to study. My degree is generalist, with emphasis on cell and micro.

Michael Toris

Take standard GRE and nothing else. You do not need program specific exam.

troutfanatic

I took the GRE back in August. I took the Major Field Exam today. It sucked. Too much plant bullshit on it. My emphasis is on cellular and micro.

It didn't matter in the end. I was accepted at my top choice for master's degree as of last Thursday. I have one interview left at my current school. I am doing that out of respect for the wife, since she is alumni. I have an 8 month "break" now. Get this damn house on the market and try to get some of this fat off of me that I earned in the last two years.

cheers

Dougfish

Big props!
Moving sux, selling sux.
Getting ahead?
Hellz yes!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Quote from: troutfanatic on December 12, 2017, 20:21:34 PM
I took the GRE back in August. I took the Major Field Exam today. It sucked. Too much plant bullshit on it. My emphasis is on cellular and micro.

It didn't matter in the end. I was accepted at my top choice for master's degree as of last Thursday. I have one interview left at my current school. I am doing that out of respect for the wife, since she is alumni. I have an 8 month "break" now. Get this damn house on the market and try to get some of this fat off of me that I earned in the last two years.

cheers

Congrats.  Get some fishing in too. 

You heading back up to PA?

troutfanatic

I interviewed at Slippery Rock University in W PA in October. It was my fallback program. It's only 2 years old and hasn't graduated a class yet. I figured I was a shoo in. That's what I get for thinking... I was waitlisted.
I went back to Pittsburgh in November and interviewed at Chatham University. It was my top choice. I found out last week that I was accepted. Chatham was traditionally a women's university. My ex went there in the late 80s. Now I must brush up on my softball skills...
Regardless, it is one of the top 25 programs in the US. I am overwhelmed.
I still have an interview at Methodist and I intend to honor it. My wife is distinguished alumni of their program. One of the PAs I shadowed is as well. Plus the Dean of health sciences was instrumental in ensuring I got an interview and she has been a family friend for many years. I don't want to burn those bridges.

The wife and I do not have a solid plan yet. I will move to Pittsburgh this summer. They may come up the following year. It is driven by her job, and finding a new one, as well as selling the house.

Doug. I got mail on Monday. Thanks. kicking out packages today and tomorrow.