Beer, bourbon and blown cast...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 02, 2017, 15:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

GO TO: Neil Young Archives

Free for months... check it out!

2017 – 94

Beer, Bourbon and

The interwebs are a strange place and can lead you to new acquaintances and you might end up traveling to a new destination to meet and fish with them. Swiping to the right can lead you far afield and that I how I found myself driving five hours down to Beaufort SC to go fishing with SaltyShooz with Capt Owen Plair. Settled into a cozy Airbnb and headed out for some beer, oysters, and shrimp to go along with Thursday night football after watching the sunset.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Got the coffee going in the moring and stepped outside to take a look at the marsh in the morning light.

Drove across the Harbor River on the Okatie highway to the ramp, I arrived a bit early so I checked out the facilities at the Port Royal Sound Foundation Maritime Center where they have a nice aquarium and some very large mounted tarpon and other exhibits.

Rigged up my rod and waited for the guide and my friend to show up.

We spend a good deal of time trying to locate some redfish. In the overcast light they were difficult to see and you would have thought that in the flat calm water you would be able to see any disturbance 100s of yards away, but the fish weren't moving, well not until we got right on top of them.

Saltyshooz was up on the bow first and cast into a school, had a take but lost it.

Then we searched up and down the river looking for more reds before finally hooking up with some trouts by accident.

Time for some Buffalo Trace

My turn on the bow lead to more frustration as they appeared to be hanging out of the bottom and the talk turned to barometric pressure and moon phases. Finally we polled into some shallows where a few fish were tailing, but a combo of bad luck, bad cast and spooky fish left me without bringing a fish to the boat.

You can see the fish push at the beginning of this video....

Well there is always beer....

And oyster...

And some parting shots from around Bueafort...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

Spell check bray.

I hope you got some coords.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Onslow

Purdy place.

This place needs more low country goodness.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: driver on December 02, 2017, 18:33:44 PM
Spell check bray.

I hope you got some coords.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

in a hurry to get it done....

just a few places... don't know if you could get yer boat in there at low tide... we polled across some very shallow spots to get back into some spots....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

hcrum87hc

Dockside...that's good eating.  I lived in Beaufort for about 3 years after graduating.  We actually went out fishing with Tuck Scott one May.  He also guides for Baystreet Outfitters  with Owen.  We also put in at the Chechessee River and fished pretty much the same location as your marker with little luck.  I did fish from that landing a lot with pretty good success over the years I was down there.  You have to be very careful around the tides in there.  A TON of sand bars. There's also a phenomenal trout hole in the vicinity if you hit it right.   

That maritime center is only a few years old. It used to be an old run down gas stop and dock.  They did a great job with it. 
Jeremiah 17:7

sanjuanwormhatch

Jfey

A for effort and good use of interwebs 0:0
Yup, going fishing

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

The Dude

There is good tarpon fishing under that bridge but you need some skills to anchor up when the tide is ripping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.