News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Boom goes the BVK!

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 26, 2017, 10:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

2017 - 92

A break in the weather and free schedules led to a trip to the coast in what could be the last albie trip of the yeas as the water is cooling down to below their comfort zone.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Headed up to the hook to see if there was any action up there, nothing going on so we zigged and zagged around while listening to the radio for any reports of action. Finally around new we spied flocks of birds working on the water and we speed over to find schools of albies chasing bait but just as quickly as they appeared they were gone only to pop up again 100s of yards away like a game of whack-a-mole. We finally got into some and had a double on the first hook up. I was using a brand new TFO BVK which replaced a broken TFO Tic r which was I had used on last years albie trips. The fish I had hooked was on the small size, probable weighing about 5 pounds. It ran and fought hard, and I was bringing it up when the BVK just exploded, breaking in three places simultaneously. I proceeded to reel in the pune of an albie as the Driver played his fish.

I was rigging up my spare rod, a Redington 8 wt Predator, when the Driver hooked into another fish. By the time I was rigged up that pod of fish were long gone. They were working in about 60 feet of water and only stayed up for 30 seconds or less.

I managed to get into another fish and played it for a while before the hook pulled out. I was glad it wasn't a knot, new reel, backing, old fly line, but new nail knot loops on both ends, double Bimini on the backing, double figure 8 loops knots on the leader. The rest of the day looked like this.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Nice!
More of "your mileage may vary".

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

Maybe there's a reason to spend bigger bucks on a quality rod....   :D

itieuglyflies

FYI- our local tackle store has TFO- Ticr rods on sale for $99. Go to Greentop Hunt Fish if interested, they sell also sell on line.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: itieuglyflies on November 26, 2017, 18:35:28 PM
FYI- our local tackle store has TFO- Ticr rods on sale for $99. Go to Greentop Hunt Fish if interested, they sell also sell on line.

they are probably located next to the broom handles....

btw they are discontinued and I'm pretty sure you would have a difficult time getting TFO to honor the lifetime warranty..
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Woolly Bugger

just got off the phone with TFO, they may do me a solid on the rod, but I'm asking for a 10wt...
me -There's a season?

Jfey

That didn't suck(except for the broken rod)  0:0
Yup, going fishing