News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Kids Christmas

Started by rbphoto, October 25, 2017, 06:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto

I know @Dayumson had a kids' Christmas program that many folks on here supported.

I know of one local to me, and can provide details if there is interest, but is there anything else the group can get behind?

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Dee-Vo

I'm willing to contribute to any programs that you guys feel compelled to share and make known.

Woolly Bugger

I know that the local Salvation Army has angle trees...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

sanjuanwormhatch

You could always buy my kids some presents. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Or simply leave gifts for a needy family on their porch when they are not at home – food, appliances, and gifts for kids, mom, and dad.  You can even wrap them, including labels with target ("To: Family Pantry From: Friend", To: Mom From: Friend", "To: Youngest Girl From: Santa"), or leave any perishables in open bags.

There are no uncomfortable visits to Salvation Army, Christmas Store, etc. for the family, just mystery gifts appearing.   I bet we all know a family in need that might be too proud to seek handouts, we see their kids, we see mom's shoes and winter coat, we might have even been in their home – we have an idea of material goods that would help and make their holiday season a bit more enjoyable.  And if you actually have a clear trusting pulse of the family, you can leave cash for the parents so they can follow the season's protocols of buying their kids something, or pay a delinquent bill.

And the beauty of this gesture is, it is not limited, restricted to the damned silly season!!!!

PS: I have no idea how anyone would benefit from an "angle" tree.  Holiday trees should be perfectly perpendicular, or at least close, pointing towards the heavens.  Dads all over the country struggle every year to select non-angled trees and place them in their stand so they look straight. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

rbphoto

Well, I'll put this out here for any of you who are interested . . .

The Safety Director where I work is the chief elf behind this project.

Last year, the program shopped for, wrapped and delivered Christmas gifts to 42 kids.

There is no overhead.

All shopping is accomplished by volunteers.

All wrapping and delivery is accomplished by volunteers.

A local company donates a box truck for the actual delivery. 

You can donate money if you want.

You can donate wrapping paper.

You can choose to shop for a child from their actual Christmas list, but you will need to come to Duncan, SC twice.  Once to get the list, meet the chief elf, and get the $ for the shopping experience.  The second time to bring the gifts and receipts back so they can be wrapped and prepped for delivery.

If you want to go along for the actual delivery, I may be able to help facilitate that as well.  Not holding my breath on any of y'all actually doing that, but I'd love to see the smiles on your faces if you did.

I figure most of that is a lot to ask and y'all curmudgeons are gonna ignore most of the options to help, if not all. 

If you don't give here.  Give somewhere.  Of your time and/or money to help those in need.

Merry Christmas,

For over twenty years now many people have sponsored a project that is very close to my heart, "Christmas On Miracle Hill".  This project was founded  over 23 years ago in order to meet the needs of children who are forced into a group home during the holidays.  Often these children show up just days before the holiday with nothing but the clothes on their back and sadness and distrust in their heart.  It is my firm belief that we as a community can and do make a difference in the lives of these children.   

A wonderful group of ladies and gentlemen along with myself work hard to meet the needs of these children on Christmas morning with the help of donations made by people just like you.  Each child in the group home will have a chance to ask Santa for their own personal wish list, then the elves will shop wrap and deliver these items to the kids personally.  What a joy it is to see all the smiling faces and to hear the joy we bring to them when they realize they have not been forgotten.   

Can you please find it in your heart to help this year?  Each child has approximately $300 spent on them which includes toys, clothes, electronics etc., remember this is all these kids have that belongs to them personally. 

All your donations are tax deductible and 100% of your money goes to a needy boy or girl. 

Please keep us in your prayers as we approach this holiday season and may the true spirit of the holiday season be with you.

Christmas on Miracle Hill
14 Glen Willow Ct
Greer, SC. 29650

Love, 

Lenora
864-525-4318
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM

Grannyknot

raymond i would love to help, but we found a local group that we've been helping and it nearly soaks up every bit of spare time & extra $ we have.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

rbphoto

Quote from: Grannyknot on October 27, 2017, 13:43:19 PM
raymond i would love to help, but we found a local group that we've been helping and it nearly soaks up every bit of spare time & extra $ we have.

Good!

Local is always better, IMO.

Onslow

Quote from: Dee-Vo on October 25, 2017, 08:11:44 AM
I'm willing to contribute to any programs that you guys feel compelled to share and make known.

Tri C ministries in Jonesville has probably kept elderly folk from starving to death.  Scouting for Food provides a substantial infusion of food in February to Tri-C, but as the year wears on, the shelves become empty.  My wife donated a bushel of second rate unprocessed string beans from our garden, and they were gone in two days! The beneficiaries are vetted, and are mostly elderly, or disabled people who desperately need food assistance.  I can vouch for the folks who operate this place, and the volunteers.  They are mainly a product of the First Baptist Church of Jonesville which happens to be a very civic minded church.  Very kind hearted people.