News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Enjoying Defeat (tR)

Started by Dee-Vo, October 23, 2017, 11:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

A couple of creeks have eluded my attempts over and over. Word has it that at the bottom you'll get shot or arrested due to crazy hillbillies and/or deer baiter/hunters. Rumors of nice brookies sing sweet tunes to my ears.

I devised a quick and all too hasty plan. Around 11:45 a.m. I hike a trail that never stops elevating up for a few miles. My plan was to hike this trail to a certain point then bushwhack it from there over to the creek which was a long way off. Once I reached this point, things were obviously not going to pan out. The creek was far, far away and at the bottom of a seemingly never ending cliff, for the lack of a better description.

I turn and hike all the way back to the pickup. Plan B. I drive 25 miles around the county and plan to enter from up top. Hike for 45 minutes to an hour. This is the first time having to use orange markers to find my way out. No trail. Only extremely dense woods/laurel. I get close to the falls as they are announcing themselves with thunderous sound. I'm very close, but the woods are so thick I still can't see. I check the time. 5 p.m.. It'll be dark here very soon. I pull up stakes, admit defeat, and head back. Even with the orange markers I can barely find my way back out.

I find bear scat. Interesting and unnerving. I'll be back to fight this battle. All in all, 6 or 7 hours in the deep woods is good for me. Enjoying defeat.

Thick shit.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

itieuglyflies

Good on you for the effort ; but I would beware of that bear as it looks like he has been eating asphalt!