News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Kitty Hawk TR (no fish pics)

Started by ryguy, October 08, 2017, 14:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryguy

As is our tradition, we just got back from a week at the beach.  We like the fall due to the reduced rates and good weather.  After dodging hurricanes all season, our week was here.  Week started off rough with the remnants of Maria pushing high surf, winds, and blowing sand our way.  By the end of the week it was beautiful with low winds and calmer surf.

We typically visit Emerald Isle, however that's a long drive with a 2 year old.  Being an aviation lover, I suggested Kitty Hawk so we could see the Wright Brothers Memorial.

My father in law and I took a charter trip for inshore fishing, and caught many small stripers and 1 small drum.  Tried fishing flies in the backwaters, but that didn't produce any fish.  Also tried surf fishing, but no fish caught. 

Ate a lot of great food, drank good beer, and played in the sand with my kiddo.  First time she's liked splashing in the waves.

Anyway, pics below to show some of the week..
Front porch view:
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Rough surf:

Fishing trip:

Wright Memorial:

Dad time:

Visited the aquarium, cool Bowfin pic:

Thanks for reading.  Back to trout fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

I never have luck fishing while on vacation at the beach.

Good for you guys for having a good time.

ryguy

Yeah we saw a lot of folks fishing on the beach, but no catching.

Still fun to daydream that you might end up with a big drum, striper or trout on your line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

streamereater_101691

Great looking trip. Wonderful place there. Hatteras should be next on your list. Bummer on the weather, but thats the OBX for you. I chased a girl there in my early 20's and spent lots of time there searching out fishing spots.

The point in buxton is the place to be right now for giant reds. Drive out onto the point, park the car, setup for the day, and move when the tide rolls in. This is the spot where the two main atlantic currents meet bringing FOOD and life to the ecosystem. A levelwind-less casting reel, 13-15ft casting surf rod, 8oz of lead(shock leader of course), and a fresh pogy on the hook and its game on. No point in fishing unless you can't huck it 100+yds because the swell will drag your rig down the beach before you engage the reel. It does get crowded, but the fish are there 24/7 even in the biggest swell. And when I mean fish, I mean 50+in reds just chowing down everything they see even in 8ft swells. It's not uncommon to have 10 anglers hooked up all at once to bulls.

The sucky thing about kitty hawk/nags head is it is actually pretty flat until you get about 500yds off shore even though the beaches are steep. The surf is good though V:;

DRIFTS

Good on ya, sounds like fun. May have to try that myself sometime!  0:0
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006