5x Tippet needs your thoughts and prayers

Started by Al, October 05, 2017, 13:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

(I am posting this with the permission of Ben) 

Many of you know 5x Tippet, aka Beetle Ben or in the real world Ben Crouch. He lives in Hartsville SC but claims the Smith River in VA as his favorite trout stream.  I stay in contact with him and while knowing his lovely wife Lura was in the hospital I did not know until today that she is in the final stages of uncorrectable / incurable heart disease. Ben told me "she has lived 14 years longer than the doctors originally predicted. She has seen 3 daughters grow up and get married - the most recent wedding took place in her hospital room. She has held a grandson - We have been blessed"

Unless you are a close personal friend of Ben please don't call him or anything like that - he is busy still trying to make a living while at the same time taking care of all the women in his life. He said he will be back to fishing and posting once this reaches a final conclusion.  What he and his family could use is your thoughts and prayers.

Big J

Hate to hear that for him.  Prayers for him and his family. 

Stone-Man

croaker

I knew Laura was in the hospital. 
Didn't know  any details. 
Ben, Laura and the rest of the family have been in my prayers.
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

troutfanatic

I have followed this best as I could over facebook. I know this struggle is probably the hardest thing he will ever endure. I was glad to see that Laura was able to be there for her daughter's wedding in the hospital. That's a good kid. I shall keep them all in my thoughts.

Dee-Vo

sanjuanwormhatch

greg

Al

Update - Ben had to get away for a few hours so today (Saturday, 21 Oct) he drove to my home to deliver some feathers for me to distribute to a few local fly tying friends.

We had lunch prepared and just let him talk which I believe did him a lot of good - There is no way to say any of this is good but he has accepted the inevitable. He is still acting as the caregiver for the five women in his life - Mother who is 86 years old, three daughters all married now, and of course Laura his wife.  He thinks she has at most a month but it would not surprise him if it were a couple weeks or even days.

Ben spends every evening with Laura as well as dropping in during the day whenever he has a free moment. Up until two days ago she was able to get up to have supper and watch TV with him. It has now become too much for her to be moved from the bed to a chair - very doubtful her condition will improve to the point of getting out of bed again.

I'm going out on a limb here but if any of you have been on Ben's "call list" and have his cell number I believe he would love to hear from you. He may not pick up but just leave him a message saying how he, Laura and the entire family are in your thoughts and prayers. If you don't have his number, sorry,  I'm not going to give it out - just your prayers would be welcome.

croaker

Thanks for the update Al.
Continued prayers of peace and strength for Ben and his family.
Will give him a call...
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Dee-Vo

Sent him a message. Thoughts and prayers continued. Good luck to you and yours, 5X.

sanjuanwormhatch

I hate that.  I'd be in on some sort of care package or gesture from this board of reprobates if anyone who knows him personally has any suggestions.   

hcrum87hc

Jeremiah 17:7

Dee-Vo

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on October 23, 2017, 09:05:37 AM
I hate that.  I'd be in on some sort of care package or gesture from this board of reprobates if anyone who knows him personally has any suggestions.

I'm in 100%. If someone can get things together just post up what needs to be done.

Al

Ben's wife passed away this evening with him holding her hand.

I do not know any details but will post them as soon as I find out.