News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Rod question

Started by Stone-Man, September 30, 2017, 10:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stone-Man

Buddy of mine was given a custom rod by the widow of one of his friends.  The first 2 guides on the rod are exactly the same size ,but they are spaced approx 2 inches apart. The rest of the guides are spaced normally. Has anyone seen this and if so,are there any advantages. I assume that it would reduce a little line slap at that point. I am stumped

JT

Dougfish

Both strippers?
Is the second close to the ferrule?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

ryguy

What's the length and line weight for the rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stone-Man

my buddy was telling me about it ,so I have not seen the rod, but it is a 4 piece. That would put those 2 guides close to a ferrule.
I will try to get more info and re-post more details

itieuglyflies

Two strippers should be better than on a pole!

Stone-Man

OK--  More info---  On the butt it says "Whopper Stopper"  IGF- 907
It is a 4 pc and is 9 feet long
The 2 guides in question are on the 2nd piece and are 2 inches from the ferrule.
They are exactly 1/2 diameter on the inside and made of ceramic. Guide #3 is ceramic , but the rest of the guides are made of wire.
Fuji reel seat.
The builder is someone named Thurston

JT

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Dougfish

Quote from: Stone-Man on October 01, 2017, 13:57:34 PM
The builder is someone named Thurston Powell III
     JT

Couldn't help myself.

Search for IGF 907 yields a 2 piece 7 wt. Probably cheap Chinese?
Good ol' Thurston modify it? Spacing and guide selection makes little sense. IMHO.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Stone-Man

I think that the builder's last name is Thurston. I actually saw the rod last week and the guide placement does not make any sense to me either

JT

ryguy

Are all pieces original to the rod?  Were any sections broken and shortened thus changing the guide spacing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stone-Man

RY
I did not look at the rod with the idea of matching pieces,Etc./ There were no breaks in the rod to change the spacing,etc. I think that it was made just like it is. Those 2 identical guides on the second piece are actually about 3 1/2 inches apart.  Still make no sense to me.  I give up

JT