Exploits from an unplanned trip: Fish were hurt, dranks were drank, and a dog was rescued.

Started by Aka, September 20, 2017, 19:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aka

My sister called me up and told that one of the other pilots for the airline she's flying for had a medical emergency so she would have to be north of the brooks range for three months. She asked if I could go up to her place in Anchorage and help her out with a a few things and bring her 15 year old Jack Russell terrier back to stay with me for a couple months. It was silver season so she asked at the right time. She also bought my ticket and put me up in first class so that helped.

I had enough time to make a mess of the bench and tie a few flies before leaving.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I called a few people, made plans, and a week and a half after she called I was here at 2am.

I got a cab to her house, slept a few hours, loaded everything into her car and hit the road. Driving this little thing was about the biggest ass pucker I've had in a long time. A car that size is a moose lazy boy waiting to happen and I drove 600 miles of the moosest roads on earth.

I met up with an old friend that now lives in Kenai and hit the river. Fishing wasn't too bad with me getting a nice silver on the first day and both of us catching a ton of sockeyes.

We hiked upstream a ways past where the river is closed to fishing to check out fish swimming/ jumping up a series of waterfalls. Along the way the river was dotted with pools choked full of fish taking a break between rapids.

I headed down the road to fish the stream that I grew up on. Coming into town I noticed how everything was run down more than I ever remembered and then saw the old tackle shop that I used to buy candy bars at when my brother and my friends and I would ride our bikes down to the river as kids to fish.

We missed the main push of silvers on the first afternoon so fishing wasn't the greatest. We were catching mostly pinks with my buddy getting a nice silver. He went back up to Kenai having to be at work in the morning and I headed down to homer to meet up with an old friend, stopping at a salt water slough on the way to harass some more humpy's.

He met me out at the slough and fished a bit before we made it back to his place at dusk to drink some beers and whiskey and catch up.

Then up the next and last day to fish by myself on the home waters.

I got an early steelhead but couldn't get a pick on my own. I had to ask a favor of a guy fishing a ways below me to take a pic of this silver for me.

With everything loaded in the car I headed back up to Anchorage, took a quick shower, repacked my bag, called a cab, rounded up the dog and headed to the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Jfey

It was nice of you to roll those humpys through the gravel before taking the pic 0:0

Good stuff Ak. A.   
Yup, going fishing

Big J

rbphoto

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

The Dude

Did you check out any mary jane stores and sample the local yield?  #farmtodoobie
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Aka

Quote from: Big J on September 21, 2017, 08:50:41 AM
Well that looked like an awful time. 

You bring some fillets home?

I have a box filled with fillets my friend who runs FedEx in Kenai is going overnight to me at a dollar a pound, around $20 total for shipping. I was going to give some to Jeff but he bitches about gravel so he's out.

Grannyknot

Very cool.
Whats the thing out in the water in the picture of the sockeye thrashing around near the bank?
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Jfey

Its ok.  I lead a #gravelfree life :D

Quote from: Aka on September 21, 2017, 11:23:18 AM
Quote from: Big J on September 21, 2017, 08:50:41 AM
Well that looked like an awful time. 

You bring some fillets home?

I have a box filled with fillets my friend who runs FedEx in Kenai is going overnight to me at a dollar a pound, around $20 total for shipping. I was going to give some to Jeff but he bitches about gravel so he's out.

Yup, going fishing

sanjuanwormhatch

Woolly Bugger

Damn nice trip, I'm waiting on my son to get his own crib so I'll have a place to crash...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Aka

Quote from: Grannyknot on September 21, 2017, 13:32:36 PM
Very cool.
Whats the thing out in the water in the picture of the sockeye thrashing around near the bank?

Cleaning table. Alaska fish and game encourages cleaning fish at the river and throwing the carcass into swift current so bears won't get habituated to where people fish.

Aka

Quote from: The Dude on September 21, 2017, 11:21:36 AM
Did you check out any mary jane stores and sample the local yield?  #farmtodoobie

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on September 21, 2017, 14:15:20 PM
i want to hear more about the beer and weed

No herb here. There's a few dispensaries down where I was but from what I heard they're way more expensive than the black market.