Allegheny Radio Star

Started by Big J, September 13, 2017, 09:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on October 24, 2017, 09:40:33 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 24, 2017, 08:55:06 AM
Quote from: Grannyknot on October 24, 2017, 08:13:13 AM
when is episode 3, big muddy?

Recording #3 this Thursday featuring deer population, deer management, and deer hunting in the Allegheny Highlands with 2 local hunters and members of the Virginia Deer Hunter's Association.   #3 should air in a week or so.

I hope Junior is one of the hunters.

Nope, Junior is reserved for the rabbit/beagle episode.  He is one of the best all-around hunters I know, but he's a master at rabbit hunting and raising the most beautiful beagles. 

The love of my life  -- Weeko
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Grannyknot

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

In this segment I said "female anglers" when I meant "hunters".  Obviously my mind was on fishing, but I could see Al sporting the new legal blaze pink. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

If you're interested in predators of whitetails, here is the next episode on coyotes, bobcats, and bears.

http://www.alleghenymountainradio.org/category/dispatches-from-the-outdoors/

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Grannyknot

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 09, 2018, 20:52:40 PM
Next episode on rabbit hunting and beagles, if interested.

https://www.alleghenymountainradio.org/category/dispatches-from-the-outdoors/

Mudwall, something i thought of while listening to this, my dad and his father used to keep several different breeds of hunting dogs when dad was growing up.  Beagles, hounds, pointers, & then labs.  I remember he told me the beagles were his favorite to be around as a kid, but they were also the absolute worst as far as their attraction to the road.  The pointers were never allowed out of their pin unless they were being used or taken for a check up, so i guess they could of been the same.

I guess Mountain Grove doesnt really have busy roads to worry about, but have you ever heard this?
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Grannyknot on January 10, 2018, 11:30:49 AM

Mudwall, something i thought of while listening to this, my dad and his father used to keep several different breeds of hunting dogs when dad was growing up.  Beagles, hounds, pointers, & then labs.  I remember he told me the beagles were his favorite to be around as a kid, but they were also the absolute worst as far as their attraction to the road.  The pointers were never allowed out of their pin unless they were being used or taken for a check up, so i guess they could of been the same.

I guess Mountain Grove doesnt really have busy roads to worry about, but have you ever heard this?
Roads = Disturbance = Small Game Cover = Rabbits = Dog following said rabbit into road

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I think the Little Back Creek riparian and the close successional fields keep the local beagles busy, but all Grove dogs do cross certain roads.  The locals keep their beagles pinned, all except a privileged few.  Our late Queen Rosie was free and she got hit by a car early in life and avoided the roads after that.  My first dog as a kid, Chipper, was killed by a logging truck.  We lose a few but most local drivers know the pooches and diligently watch.  If a dog gets hit it is likely by someone passing through.  There are exceptions:  In my youth a local kid, a first class prick of a driver (believed every time behind the wheel was some sort of damned race), speeding through on Rt 39, hit and killed a well-known, adorable lab.  I threatened to kill the son-of-a-bitch until my father corrected my intention. 

NCsporksman

I skipped thru the beginning of the beagle episode and had no idea this was you...how is celebrity affecting your personal life, habits etc?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Yallerhammer

Quote from: DAYUMson on January 10, 2018, 15:07:06 PM

Roads = Disturbance = Small Game Cover = Rabbits = Dog following said rabbit into road

Yep. I lost two or three beagles to the road back in the day when I used to keep a pack of them. Asphalt is like a magnet.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Michael Toris

Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 15, 2018, 07:17:59 AM
Quote from: DAYUMson on January 10, 2018, 15:07:06 PM

Yep. I lost two or three beagles to the road back in the day when I used to keep a pack of them. Asphalt is like a magnet.
Also, the better the dog, the more likely it is going to occur. My granddad raised numerous field trial champs and lost quite a few because they wouldn't break off of the rabbit when they crossed the road.

Yallerhammer

Yep, a good hound usually has tunnel vision when it's on a track.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff