News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Tenkara

Started by sanjuanwormhatch, September 08, 2017, 09:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanjuanwormhatch

Yeah, I know but I'm tempted to buy one for my son thinking it might work better than a rod with one of those new fangled reels.  That said, I'm not about to go #livesimply with patagonia's $200 outfit.  Is a "nice" tenkara rod even dumber than a "nice" fly rod?  My head says yes.  Can someone act as a filter for all of the crap out there and point me to a an outfit that might be good?  Course I guess there's not much difference between tenkara and a good ol fashion cane rod.

Big J

Ask yourself this, do the advantages of a Tenkara rod outweigh it's limitations? 

Also, I would wager that there is a higher proportion of people with man buns who use a Tenkara rod compared to using a Fly Rod.

Grannyknot

I can't remember how old your son is, but mine is 6 and i was thinking we had ours around the same time.
He tried a tenkara rod that my friend had.  It was too long and awkward for him to do by himself.

I bought him a Redington Form rod.  Its a practice game rod, but it has a real floating line on it that I put a leader on.  Casts a dry fly pretty well.
Much shorter and more manageable.  He's caught fish on small streams with it.  Only issue is the line is long and not attached to anything, so he has to remember to pull the line in.

Its also only about $40
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

sanjuanwormhatch

He's turning 5 in one month and gosh darn if I'm not glad you brought that to my attention Grannyknot.  This place really is the gift that keeps on giving. 

troutfanatic

I did a progression with both girls.

Age 2-4 child's 3' spincast rod.

Age 4-6/7 adult ultralight spinning rod

Age 7/8 to 12. A 7' 4 weight. The key is getting a lightweight reel. Orvis battenkill works nice. Clearwater is the rod I went with.

Start with roll casts and if need be let the kid use both hands. Have him relax his arms while holding the rod and put your dominant hand over his. Stand beside him and put your non dominant hand on the rod butt.

Lead him through a few casts and emphasize the power at the end.

Let him roll cast until he's about 10.

You don't need tenkara.

troutfanatic

Short rods are the key with kids.
Buy me wading boots.

Dee-Vo

My son is 2. He uses my 9' fly rod. He doesn't know how to strip line yet or cast, but after giving him a little time with it he can hold it up, fight the fish, reel some, and is learning that you have to retrieve the line as you bring the fish in.

I figure starting him as close to the real thing will only shorten the learning curve as opposed to getting him used to something else.

Apologies for my finger over the lens.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

driver

A cane pole would work as well as a tenkara rod.

tomato can

Quote from: Big J on September 08, 2017, 09:26:44 AM
Ask yourself this, do the advantages of a Tenkara rod outweigh it's limitations? 

Also, I would wager that there is a higher proportion of people with man buns who use a Tenkara rod compared to using a Fly Rod.

Jacob does your hatred of man buns put you on the big muddy continuum? 

troutfanatic

It can be done. She's been on a fly rod for 3 years. She roll casts. Her sister, in the background has been on a fly rod for 5 years. She can double haul a nine foot five weight with a sculpin on it. She's nowhere near flawless, but she's getting it. I'm a huge advocate of starting them on short 3 or 4 weights. Each year I watch some of the smaller Boy Scouts struggle with 9' 5 weights. It all too often ends in frustration.
A lot of guys say start em on panfish. Mine were started on Trout. The key is finding an easy target where catching is almost guaranteed. My daughters are 10 and 12 in this video.

Onslow

I wonder how challenging it would be for a young lad to Euro nypmh with a 10" 3 wt..  Seems like it would a viable option.

ryguy

After reading this I think it's time to line up a rod for my 2 year old daughter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutfanatic

Quote from: Onslow on September 09, 2017, 11:53:55 AM
I wonder how challenging it would be for a young lad to Euro nypmh with a 10" 3 wt..  Seems like it would a viable option.
I think you're in the ballpark here. It's more about placement than casting. It would also serve a multipurpose role versus a tenk rod.

BrookieHunter

Quote from: Onslow on September 09, 2017, 11:53:55 AM

My son is 10 and he prefers my 10' 2wt. over pretty much any other rod I have.

When he was 2 I started him out with a yellow Eagle Claw fly rod and a pond full of bluegill, kept him entertained for hours and those rods are pretty inexpensive.

sanjuanwormhatch

Great discussion.

I actually have an eagle claw.  It's almost like I should get a couple and just keep them around the house.

Tenkara was somewhat attractive because no reel which is like a magnet for mischief.  I was looking for something for small creeks.  He floats with me a good bit and has a piece of shit spiderman push button rod that I'll probably replace with a decent push button outfit sometime soon. 

We have been good about the fishing part.  But I really need to focus on him catching part.  The kind of fishing I am able to do and somewhat enjoy is usually low percentage.  Thinking I can take him on a blue line and get him on to some dumbass rainbows or something.