New vest, fanny pack, sling, Prince Albert can or what?

Started by itieuglyflies, August 18, 2017, 11:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itieuglyflies

I have always been a vest user and my latest is about shot.....also I  did recently lose a fly box that must have escaped an over filled pocket that wasn't zipped shut. Needless to say I am sure I carry too much stuff ( and always will). My days of long difficult treks into the mountains are behind me so I am not too concerned about replacement being super light weight. I need room and easy access to fly boxes and other crap. I see a lot of guys with shoulder packs waist packs etc. I am just looking for recommendations from what you folks like and dislike.....and yes long ago I  carried my tackle in a tobacco can.

driver

Quote from: itieuglyflies on August 18, 2017, 11:37:21 AM
I have always been a vest user and my latest is about shot.....also I  did recently lose a fly box that must have escaped an over filled pocket that wasn't zipped shut. Needless to say I am sure I carry too much stuff ( and always will). My days of long difficult treks into the mountains are behind me so I am not too concerned about replacement being super light weight. I need room and easy access to fly boxes and other crap. I see a lot of guys with shoulder packs waist packs etc. I am just looking for recommendations from what you folks like and dislike.....and yes long ago I  carried my tackle in a tobacco can.
Sling packs are my fav. I have a Simms they don't make anymore but Fishpond has one similar. I like being able to slide the pack around while I'm standing in the water. And not have to fumble with taking a pack off or sweating like a pig in a vest

troutboy_II

I use a Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack that I got on sale.  I love the damn thing, easy to walk/wade with and out of the way until you need it.  Plenty of room and still not too big.  Plenty of adjustments (like a regular pack) so you can cinch it up as tight as makes sense.   Not as handy to hang a net off of it and the second "belt" gets in the way of my staff holster, but other than that, great product.

My favorite vest of all time was from Orvis, the one with the spring loaded magnetic pockets.  They quit making it after a year or so and I heard they had problems with the springy things breaking, but mine still works - just don't use it anymore.

Once you go pack, you don't go back.  ;D

Yeah, I know.  Not too funny...

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Dee-Vo

This is the most similar to what I use. I believe the one I have is discontinued at this point. It's been through hell and is good to go still. I like it because I can use it on my chest, back, waist or as an over the shoulder type hip pack.

https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/vests-packs/dry-creek-hip-pack-f17.html

tomato can

I held on to my patagonia vest forever and finally got a sims pack on sale.  Its ghey ass royal blue, but I like it 10X's better than my vest.  I can find anything easily.