News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Dink Delight

Started by TwoThumbsUp, July 23, 2017, 19:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoThumbsUp

My wife had just returned from being overseas for the past couple weeks and said she just wanted to lay around the house and relax today.  I took that to mean that she didn't want me around to bother her.  I usually don't get into the park to fish much during the summer months but I needed to swing my the fly shop and pick some tying materials up, so I headed out.  I'm not sure what tempted me to fish one of the most pressured streams in the area, but I found a good spot to park and hit the water.  Although the water level is a little down, it's a beautiful stream.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I'd started off with a dry and dropper to see what was tempting them today.  I missed what would have been one of the best fish of the day in the very first run.  Since he hit the dry, the dropper came off for the rest of the day.

Then, the dink parade began.

I figured I needed to start fishing a larger fly.

Just caught more dinks.

I found a neat little hole in a boulder.  I figured it would make a nice little place to store some rocks and maybe a leaf or two.

It was well after lunch, so I figured I'd head back to the car, grab a bite to eat and change rivers.  No lunch pictures.  A bag of chips and a salted meat stick aren't all that interesting.  Time to hit a new place.

This river had a whole army of stoneflies come out.

Did I mention, all I caught today were dinks???

BrookieHunter

Little trout are always better than no trout!  'c;

Dougfish

0:0
In there swingin.  'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

TwoThumbsUp

Quote from: BrookieHunter on July 23, 2017, 19:58:59 PM
Little trout are always better than no trout!  'c;
Right on.  I've fished so little this past month, the little ones were alot of fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Dee-Vo

Nice. Reminds me of my last outing - dink central.

The Dude

Based on your findings, I would expect that the big fish probably gorged on stoneflies the last two weeks as they mass migrated out from under their flat rock abodes to their emergence locales along the edge of the stream on sticks and logs and to large midstream boulders.  Then they likely fed aggressively on nymphs emerging (aka crawling out) onto said banks and big rocks in the very early, late and overnight hours.  Those fish were likely sleeping off Thanksgiving meal down on the bottom all day long while the sun was up, and the dinks were left to feed on the table scraps during the daytime.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Yallerhammer

There are a lot worse ways to spend a summer day than catching dinkbows.

I was fishing a heavily-pressured Smokies stream a couple weekends ago and only catching an occasional dinkbow. I tried downsizing, and that didn't work. So I went the other way and put on about a #6-#8 rubber-legged Stimulator that looked like it could carry off a housecat. First hole = 10"+ bow. Caught several more good ones on it before a lightning storm ran me back to the truck. They were blowing up on that thing like a bass hitting a Jitterbug.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutfanatic

Did somebody say dink?

they feed the coons just fine. Catching is better than fishing.