News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

G Smokies Trip Advice

Started by NCsporksman, July 18, 2017, 23:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

One other thing that makes a big difference: Take a big tarp. Afternoon thundershowers happen durn near every day. Having a big dry place to sit and hang out makes it much more enjoyable.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

NCsporksman

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 24, 2017, 09:16:47 AM
One other thing that makes a big difference: Take a big tarp. Afternoon thundershowers happen durn near every day. Having a big dry place to sit and hang out makes it much more enjoyable.

Good call, learned on the last trip that our go-to tent acquires more water than it sheds. My 6 year gave me hell when i spoke of moving to a hotel, she's a tough little asshole who can handle herself  d:b ....I've got a frame canopy, a bit bulky for the kia
i'll likely be renting. Woolly do you use hiking poles for that thing?

Woolly Bugger

No, it has its own poles, it's pretty huge.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Quote from: NCsporksman on July 25, 2017, 23:37:24 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 24, 2017, 09:16:47 AM

Good call, learned on the last trip that our go-to tent acquires more water than it sheds. My 6 year gave me hell when i spoke of moving to a hotel, she's a tough little asshole who can handle herself  d:b ....I've got a frame canopy, a bit bulky for the kia
i'll likely be renting. Woolly do you use hiking poles for that thing?

If you're staying at Cataloochee, the campground has ten million trees in it. I just take about a 20x30 tarp and a bunch of string and tie it up to the trees.

Dee-Vo

To piggyback on Spork's thread for my own personal concerns and interests -

How are the Smokies in November regarding temperatures, snow, ice, etc? Is tent camping/backpacking still feasible? Unpredictable is what I hear, anything a little more specific?

Dougfish

Quote from: Dee-Vo on July 28, 2017, 12:10:36 PM

How are the Smokies in November regarding temperatures, snow, ice, etc? Is tent camping/backpacking still feasible? Unpredictable is what I hear, anything a little more specific?

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutfanatic

I've hiked, camped, and fished 9 months out of the year. Just not January through March. No issues, but Doug is right. Stay off the waterfalls

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Dee-Vo on July 28, 2017, 12:10:36 PM

Very much depends on where you are.  I think the lowest elevation is under 1,000' which is 1,400' lower elevation than my city, and max elevation is over 6,600' feet.  Snow and ice are never a sure bet in November at any elevation.  The only issue you may have is hwy 441 if you plan on traversing the park, it tops out at like 5,000' or so and very susceptible to road closures since they don't do any type of road salting.  That road is never closed though long-term.   I believe all of the seasonal road and campground closures will already be in effect then, but some are open year-round...obviously backcountry sites aren't affected by seasonal closures either.  You potentially could see issues getting into Cataloochee depending on any snow event but there are a lot of other low elevation access points into the park on the NC side.  Fishing should still be okay in November assuming we don't have a drier than usual October, November we usually see an uptick in precip over October.  You can throw everything out the window though if we get a big winter storm, but odds are not likely for an unusually heavy snowfall event that time of year.

Dee-Vo

Helpful, thanks. The area I'm looking at may be around 4000' - 5000'. Haven't nailed it down quite yet.

Yallerhammer

As Ben said, it varies from place to place and year to year. I will say that snow is possible and likely, along with night time temps in the teens or lower in November. Or it can be fairly warm and nice with no snow some years. I don't know if you've ever actually stayed in a backpacking tent when it is 10-15 degrees. It is not pleasant.

In general, 5,000' is generally not a good place to be in winter during bad weather. I was fishing near 5,000 yesterday, and it was right chilly in the middle of July after being in the drizzle and fog for awhile. Going from 2,000' to 5,000' puts you in a different world-a world that is basically southern Canada at sea level.

Phil

X2 what Hammer said. I live at 4000 feet elevation. November isn't a good time for backpack tent camping.
Hell, I camped near Smokemont in the Smokies (under 2000 feet elevation) in early November a few years ago and woke up to three inches of snow, wind, and a miserable day.  Ya never know.

Dee-Vo

This is largely what I had expected to hear. I'll wait until closer to the time and hopefully find someone in the general area that can help. The first or second week of November is the target stretch.

troutfanatic

Camp low, stay close to main roads and you'll be fine. You have a 4WD, I assume you can drive just fine in snow. I recommend not going solo and calling someone prior to any movements with a plan of where you will be, with who, and how long. Like I said, I've been in there 9 months out of the year and never had a bad trip. I used to do a good bit of military training all thoughout the region in addition to hiking and camping trips. Hell, we ran all through their looking for dickhead Eric Rudolph (murderer). If you are going to wander way in, pack and dress accordingly, carry a compass, a map, some firemaking materials, a good knife, some parachute cord and a small first aid kid. I always carry a supply of high energy snacks when I wander into unfamiliar territory in the winter. Cliff Bars and Power Bars were a staple in Afghanistan on patrol at 10k ASL, I still carry them.

Dee-Vo

Pretty much summed up my game plan, Brian. I'm thinking Buddy may be down for the adventure. We'd be a few miles from our vehicle. Looking forward to it if weather doesn't zap the idea.