Spinning rods are the future fam

Started by Michael Toris, July 14, 2017, 23:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Toris

What the fuck has happened to my thread?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

troutfanatic

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 25, 2017, 07:00:19 AM
Largemouth out of our mountain lakes aren't bad at all, at least early in the year. Not my favorite eating fish, but still taste 10x better than any of that shit fish from the grocery store. I don't see how anybody can eat a ditch tilapia and enjoy it.

Tilapia is a toxin magnet.
The honest truth? I don't eat much freshwater fish except crappie and walleye.

Have no fear bassbros, I consider catfish far more disgusting.

Dee-Vo

Can someone please properly prepare turtle so I can try it?

driver

Onslow

Quote from: driver on July 27, 2017, 10:09:16 AM
How did that carp taste?

Carp are supposed to be captured alive, and turned loose in a tank, and fed a controlled diet for a spell before consuming.  This according to an affluent Filipino dude who adores the flavor of carp.

Same goes for possum.  They need to be fed corn, and vegetable scraps for a week in captivity before consuming.  Heads up, they are still nasty.  My wife has eaten possum, and snapping turtle.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: driver on July 27, 2017, 10:09:16 AM
How did that carp taste?

I do not consume carp. I am not one to believe what everybody says, so I tried one once to see for myself. It was nasty. Very, very strong and fishy. The whole fish was like that nasty red streak that you cut out of stripers, big catfish, or white bass fillets.

I have no guilt in shooting them, as they are a non-native, invasive scourge. But I don't waste them. I either give them to a black guy or a Ukranian guy I know, both of whom love carp; or use them for fertilizer.

The gar on the other hand, are excellent. Nice white, non-fishy boneless meat that in taste and texture is somewhere between alligator and lobster.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Dee-Vo on July 27, 2017, 09:42:27 AM

I have never tried it, but my grandpa used to eat them. I'd like to try one.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 27, 2017, 14:06:33 PM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on July 27, 2017, 09:42:27 AM

I have never tried it, but my grandpa used to eat them. I'd like to try one.

Alright, time for a turtle stew.

Phil

When I was a kid we'd go out fishing and shooting turtles w/ pellet guns. Take the bass and crappie home, and give the mudfish and turtles to the black folks at the dock.

itieuglyflies

To join the wide ranging discussion. First, walleye.....just got back Sat. from annual(20th)  trip to Quebec where our group of ten catches a little over one thousand each year on the six day trip. I eat a lot of fish and I must say a fresh caught walleye sautéed in butter with salt and pepper with a little lemon juice is about as good as it gets when it comes to eating fish. Since we are so far back in the sticks we have walleye with everything.....walleye with blueberries, fried eggs, spaghetti yep tried it!
Yes you can catch them on a fly and I have done it, but a good ole spinning rod with a jig is far superior.

In my younger days I bow fished a lot and would shoot a hundred or so carp each spawning season. Guilt made me at least try carp, since those folks from across the pond brought them here as table fare  I felt I needed to try. Smoked it was ok, just ok. Never felt the need or hungar to deal with them again. I tried to clean a gar once but gave up trying to get through that armor plated skin.....I hear it is tasty. Also, heard their eggs are toxic?

I have also eaten possum once.....never again. Memories of the fat are not pleasant. Snapping turtle I have eaten many times and it is very good. Cleaning the damn things is a chore that I don't like. The standard was to start carving them out of the shell, we even resorted to scalding the whole turtle to make it easier. Bottom line too much work for me.

Sorry for the rambin, wife and I are baby sitting grandkids in northern Va. And I needed a little escape.

tomato can

Yallerhammer

Quote from: itieuglyflies on July 27, 2017, 16:36:08 PM
To join the wide ranging discussion. First, walleye.....just got back Sat. from annual(20th)  trip to Quebec where our group of ten catches a little over one thousand each year on the six day trip. I eat a lot of fish and I must say a fresh caught walleye sautéed in butter with salt and pepper with a little lemon juice is about as good as it gets when it comes to eating fish. Since we are so far back in the sticks we have walleye with everything.....walleye with blueberries, fried eggs, spaghetti yep tried it!
Yes you can catch them on a fly and I have done it, but a good ole spinning rod with a jig is far superior.

In my younger days I bow fished a lot and would shoot a hundred or so carp each spawning season. Guilt made me at least try carp, since those folks from across the pond brought them here as table fare  I felt I needed to try. Smoked it was ok, just ok. Never felt the need or hungar to deal with them again. I tried to clean a gar once but gave up trying to get through that armor plated skin.....I hear it is tasty. Also, heard their eggs are toxic?

I have also eaten possum once.....never again. Memories of the fat are not pleasant. Snapping turtle I have eaten many times and it is very good. Cleaning the damn things is a chore that I don't like. The standard was to start carving them out of the shell, we even resorted to scalding the whole turtle to make it easier. Bottom line too much work for me.

Sorry for the rambin, wife and I are baby sitting grandkids in northern Va. And I needed a little escape.

Gar: chop the head and tail off with a hatchet or machete (I have even used a band saw when I had a dozen or two to clean.) Go down the back with some shears, tin snips, or hand pruners. Peel that hide back and you can fillet the backstraps out just like you would with a deer. Good shit. Yes, the eggs are toxic. And nuclear green/blue.

Phil

That sounds like a lot of work, Hammer. I've never eaten gar or turtle. Boy, I used to eat lots of rattlesnake, alligator, squirrel, bass, and crappie (we called 'em speckled perch, though-- never heard 'em called crappie till I was grown). Only tried possum once. It sucked big time.

Michael Toris

Quote from: itieuglyflies on July 27, 2017, 16:36:08 PM

I have always dreamed of two major sportsman trips:

1. Upland pheasant/chukkar hunt over a solid German Shorthair in the Dakotas

2. Fly in Canadian Shield Lake trip for walleye, smallies, pike, and musky.

Tell me more about your walleye trip.

tomato can

we always split the turtles with a hatchet.  Cleaned the guts out of it.  thought this fellar cleans 'em a little differently

Dayumson:  Pheasant hunting in North Dakota is the bomb.  But I used a Gordon Setter and a Am. Water Spaniel.  We also shot some sharptail grouse and huns.   I think chuckars are up in the mountains.