• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
March 22, 2019, 23:47:45 pm

News:

Hatchery Supported Trout Waters Closed to Fishing March 1- April 6


+- +-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
 
 
 
Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Members
Total Members: 2305
Latest: gpierce18
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 144292
Total Topics: 13912
Most Online Today: 627
Most Online Ever: 832
(March 08, 2019, 14:41:24 pm)
Users Online
Members: 28
Guests: 467
Total: 495

Spinning rods are the future fam

Started by wildmttwalleye, July 14, 2017, 23:14:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

troutfanatic

Yes and yes, Jason and Phil. Same family of fish, so great similarities in texture and taste. I just hate the bones in yellow perch. I wish I had a good place locally to toss a beetle or hopper pattern at them but when you find them around here, they are uber pune.

Onslow

July 16, 2017, 18:29:31 pm #16 Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 19:20:41 pm by Onslow
I've just reviewed USGS maps to determine the native ranges of Walleyes, and smallies.  If taken literally, both bass walleye were did not exist upstream of the Sandstone/Brooks Falls area of the New River prior to introduction.  The maps are suspect.  Someone with a clue needs to clear this up.  I thought smallmouth were always ubiquitous in the whole of the New Basin.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on July 16, 2017, 18:29:31 pm
I've just reviewed USGS maps to determine the native ranges of Walleyes, and smallies.  If taken literally, both bass walleye were did not exist upstream of the Sandstone/Brooks Falls area of the New River prior to introduction.  The maps are suspect.  Someone with a clue needs to clear this up.  I always thought smallmouth were always ubiquitous in the whole of the New Basin.
"Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Beetle

Ken, have you ever looked in that hole by the pumphouse below Primland?    I think it's full of them.  Always wondered if they were stocked or native.

Great report G!   

Onslow

July 16, 2017, 19:19:19 pm #19 Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 19:37:35 pm by Onslow
I find it quite amazing Sandstone, and perhaps Brooks Falls, prevented these two species from making any headway upstream for perhaps thousands of years.



A closer look.  The last minute of this video is quite amazing.  Rather gnarly line.


Onslow

Quote from: Beetle on July 16, 2017, 19:16:14 pm
Ken, have you ever looked in that hole by the pumphouse below Primland?    I think it's full of them.  Always wondered if they were stocked or native.




Rumor has it someone bucket stocked Northern Pike, and Walleye in the puddle up the hill.

troutfanatic

Freshwater Fishes of Virginia is an excellent reference. I wish there was similar effort in books about the Carolinas. I have yet to find anything similar, unless it is about trout.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on July 16, 2017, 19:19:19 pm
I find it quite amazing Sandstone, and perhaps Brooks Falls, prevented these two species from making any headway upstream for perhaps thousands of years.
"Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on July 16, 2017, 20:01:33 pm
Quote from: Onslow on July 16, 2017, 19:19:19 pm
I find it quite amazing Sandstone, and perhaps Brooks Falls, prevented these two species from making any headway upstream for perhaps thousands of years.


Yes, Kanawha Falls is a bit larger.  So how did the flatties get up that?
...

NCsporksman

SCIENCE FIGHT.....Spinning rod is tits, need something longer, weird beard seems to think ice fishing poles get the jerb done...he has much to learn about angling the walleye

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


driver

I actually have loomis 7ft walleye rod. It was the FIL's. So the wife won't let me part with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


wildmttwalleye

Quote from: driver on July 16, 2017, 21:31:04 pm
I actually have loomis 7ft walleye rod. It was the FIL's. So the wife won't let me part with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sell me that shit

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk


wildmttwalleye

Quote from: NCsporksman on July 16, 2017, 21:03:10 pm
SCIENCE FIGHT.....Spinning rod is tits, need something longer, weird beard seems to think ice fishing poles get the jerb done...he has much to learn about angling the walleye

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Keep casting upstream and losing my shit.

6' is as long as I go. Vertical jigging boss

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk


driver

Btw wtf is fam?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Dee-Vo


+-Recent Topics

Trout W/Ramps by Fishbug
Today at 20:03:05

Annual BRFFF Fly SWAP! Tiers Choice - Due on the Ides of March! by Dougfish
Today at 19:55:49

Music for the old by itieuglyflies
Today at 18:33:44

Phil and Johnny Lightning by Stone-Man
Today at 12:03:31

Video of the day... by Woolly Bugger
Today at 05:46:12

Unlimited bug ID by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0
March 21, 2019, 16:42:51 pm

March Madness 2019 by Woolly Bugger
March 21, 2019, 16:26:05 pm

Unlimited Salmon/Steelhead News Update... by Woolly Bugger
March 21, 2019, 14:11:32 pm

Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial by Woolly Bugger
March 21, 2019, 12:24:48 pm

Smith-Continued by Woolly Bugger
March 21, 2019, 10:22:26 am

Powered by EzPortal