News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Big Box Outdoors Stores?

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 14, 2017, 11:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is there any difference in these stores? Which is your favorite?

Field and Stream
0 (0%)
Dicks
0 (0%)
Cabelas
5 (45.5%)
Bass Pro
0 (0%)
REI
1 (9.1%)
LL Bean
0 (0%)
Dunham's
0 (0%)
Sierra Trading Post
3 (27.3%)
other
1 (9.1%)
one time at band camp there was a sport...
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Woolly Bugger

I've been to most, ordered online from many... have not been to Dunham's is it any different?

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

JMiller

Dunham's is the most expensive of the bunch IMO, and carries a bunch of weird or off brand crap that they seem to want to charge a premium for.

I pretty much buy most my flyfishing stuff from sierra trading post. Last year's stuff, but very cheap.
They've got redington sonic pros for $150 right now.

I like(d) Cabela's clothing, but now that they've been bought out by Bass Pro, I assume it will turn to garbage like everything Bass Pro sells. Shame.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Dee-Vo

Fukk big box. I buy everything I can from my fly shop man in Statesville. You'll spend a little more coin, but it's worth it to me. Small business is my livelihood. Not an easy chore nowadays to compete and keep up. You have to do far more than the rest - you have to shine. The only time I buy from big box store is if I have money on a gift card from someone. Even then, truthfully, I try and sell it for $10 less than the value and take my business to my local shop.

Shop local. Shop small.

fishhead

driver

My LFS doesn't carry 3in steel shot shells. Much less and thing fly fishing related. 

Dood  in Statesville is stalking me. Bum said he has a picture of me on his wall. I've only been in there once, and that was like 6 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

Quote from: driver on July 17, 2017, 17:08:01 PM
My LFS doesn't carry 3in steel shot shells. Much less and thing fly fishing related. 

Dood  in Statesville is stalking me. Bum said he has a picture of me on his wall. I've only been in there once, and that was like 6 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He does have a picture of you in there. Lots of others as well.......actually he has one of me in there. WTF.

True about the fly shops not having other necessities. I shop at local hunting/gun shops in this event if possible.

troutfanatic

I try to spread money around. I buy some stuff on military and vet discounts I get, usually direct from the manufacturer. On high donkey items, I am going to seek out the best price. I have spent money in all those stores you list, and then some. When they start up, they seem to come out swinging, decent prices to drag you in the doors. This was the case when they opened the very first Field and Stream store in Cranberry PA a couple years back. Now they are like the next Gander Mountain in the making. They sell shit above MSRP. I was laughing my ass off at people flocking into this local Gander store because a big sign said 10-50% off. Initially, they dropped their prices to just around MSRP, particularly on guns. I thought I'd buy a ton of tying shit and hooks but they were still more expensive than Bass Bro Shops, Whorvis and Crabela's. Fuck em... rot. I watched Sportsman's Warehouse folld in SW PA for the same bullshit.

JM is right on Dunham's; they carry lots of off brand bullshit, and charge like it is top notch. They do get decent gun deals.

LL Bean gives me visions of rich assholes fishing a size 24 midge under a thingamabobber using a $2,000 cane pole. Just can't do it.

Bass Bro Shops gives me visions of PBR-swilling, pot-bellied yokels chucking rubber worms, and owning a boat that cost more than the trailer they live in.

I do crabela's because they have a decent credit card with cash back points. I bought my daughter her first deer rifle on bonus points.

I do small local shops when I am on the road, but I don't buy in on the help a small business out mantra. Just because they own a small business doesn't mean they are good people. Perhaps I am jaded by living in military towns most of my life? I have seen many small businesses here that existed solely to rip off young soldiers. @Al is well aware of our local small business hunting and fishing shop. That guy has scammed more people than ol Harvey. And yeah, he went bankrupt and disappeared again. If I am out fishing and I see a small shop, I'll drop in and buy some flies and other ancillary items, but I ain't paying 600 donk for a 400 donk rod. Perhaps they should have considered a different business.

One place I try to spend as least amount of money as possible is Walmart. Fuck that place.