Because it's there - aka: Always take a shovel

Started by rbphoto, July 05, 2017, 07:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto

My phone started blowing up Friday night about going fishing in Eastern TN - tailwaters.  Texts replete with google earth screenshots, fishing forum hotspots, fly selection, generation schedules, big fish pics.  All the standard crap that makes me think, "This is a profoundly bad idea."

It only got worse.  There was conversation about kayak fishing, canoe fishing, and even float tube fishing  n!n before I put my foot down just softly enough to say that I would wade, but I didn't hold high hopes for the day. 

Monday evening, I reach out and discover that fishing buddy's phone had a slight issue with river fluid and, combined with his inattentiveness, poor service, and the fact that he was fishing it took til about 10pm to find out he was already in Eastern TN and staying the night.

Since I had to be at the airport to pick up our daughter (recent mission trip to Slovenia) at 10:30 Monday night, that meant an early morning and driving past 100's of miles of water that I would rather fish . . .  b'; b'; b';

But, I road trip'd, much to my great chagrin.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Summer fishing breakfast theme:

As expected for a holiday, it was asses to elbows.

We got treated like a couple of redneck hicks for wet wading, but it was already warm and sticky and I really didn't feel like sweating my balls off.

Fished the morning until generation (with nothing to hand) and then threw on a streamer with a shooting head to get to a few likely spots. Again, empty-handed.

Water came down and I threw sulphurs, to no avail. 

This river can be a bitch. 

Emergers - nope.

Soft hackles - big nope.

Midges - wrong colors. 

Got bored and started exploring and goofing off on the way back to the car to grab a drink and a snack and some wet wipes.

Finally decided it was time to get some real food and liquid refreshment prior to dropping into the local fly shop and getting our balls busted, gathering intel and some of the right color midges . . .

Not Coors Light, but I would have imbibed that in a skinny minute.

Why get a pint for $4 when you can get a pitcher for $12 to go with the pizza . . .

Forgot to take that picture. 

Hotspotting.

Fished a lower section, had a major blowup on a sculpin streamer.  Lasted all of 2 seconds before the fish decided it didn't like that particular sculpin and threw the hook. 

Fished 'til 4 and waited another hour for him to get off the water while I dried off the flies, got out of the boots, cooled off in the A/C and generally ruminated about fishing unfamiliar water. 

The only guys catching fish with any regularity were 60+ yrs of age.  Old farts who have probably been fishing the river for decades and know when it is being fickle, difficult, and bitchy.  Old farts who know where to find fish pretty much all the time.  Even they struggled.  I watched 7 fish come to hand all day. 

Not getting in a hurry to go back.  Too much water between home and there that is worth exploring. 

Somebody's best catch of the day:

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Phil

"The only guys catching fish with any regularity were 60+ yrs of age.  Old farts who have probably been fishing the river for decades and know when it is being fickle, difficult, and bitchy.  Old farts who know where to find fish pretty much all the time."

Hmmmm. "Old farts?" 

rbphoto

Quote from: Phil on July 05, 2017, 08:32:47 AM
"The only guys catching fish with any regularity were 60+ yrs of age.  Old farts who have probably been fishing the river for decades and know when it is being fickle, difficult, and bitchy.  Old farts who know where to find fish pretty much all the time."

Hmmmm. "Old farts?"

Yes, Phil.

Old farts.  One of those guys was probably close to 80.

I hope I am still fishing when I am an old fart.

:banana072:

"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: rbphoto on July 05, 2017, 08:34:44 AM
Quote from: Phil on July 05, 2017, 08:32:47 AM

Hmmmm. "Old farts?"

Yes, Phil.

Old farts.  One of those guys was probably close to 80.

I hope I am still fishing when I am an old fart.

:banana072:

I resemble that remark....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Jfey

Glad you decided against the float tubes!   Def a fickle fishery.  Some days they just don't eat and not much you can do about it 0:0
Yup, going fishing

Dee-Vo

The last time I walked down that trail I thought I was going to drown from the water rising.

The last time I entered that fly shop I thought, "Damn, that was a waste of money."

The last time I fished that river there were lots of old dudes fishing. Many with spinning outfits and live bait. 

Aka

At least you got out but I'd say you should have gone to Slovenia. That's been a bucket list trip for me since I was in the Philippines and met a young Slovenian doctor in El Nido on Palawan island. She was traveling with a friend that was about as much fun as a wet blanket and a footloose Aka was just what the doctor ordered. Anyway I digress, Slovenia has some fantastic scenery and great fishing which are now the reasons it's on the bucket list.

Dougfish

0:0  It was a hapless w/e across this board.  n!n

Another vote for Slovenia. Saw a video with Marble Trout. Fuk. Yes.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

rbphoto

It was about all I could do to keep the wife sane while our daughter was gone for 10 days - her first out of country trip, on top of that.

And the daughter needed to do this on her own. 

Slovenia would be a great trip - one I'd love to make as well. 

We are talking about an anniversary trip to Austria, Hungary, Slovenia, Italy sometime but I don't expect it for 3-5 years or more.

And I really do not expect to fish at all during that trip  b';

Marble Trout . . . yep, I've watched some of those videos as well.

I don't have a bucket list.

I'd never get it all done, if I lived 300 years.

BrookieHunter

I have much respect for anybody that attempts to fish that river.  bd;0  I personally don't have the patience or attention span for that place.  b';

NCsporksman

I enjoyed that, sounds about rite for that river, woolly loves asses to elbows....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk