News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, June 25, 2017, 17:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

For meager pocket change you can own a piece of history and be my neighbor.  If I prayed, I'd pray that a liberal purchase the homestead; all I can do is hope. 

http://freshestates.com/listings/274-gatewood-drive/
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Heck of a house for pocket change indeed.

What the hell is a liberal?

Onslow

Oh, the slide show tells a very different story. I"m seeing a 150K remodel.

Dougfish

Quote from: Onslow on June 25, 2017, 18:11:00 PM
That's modest.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Dougfish on June 25, 2017, 18:35:01 PM
Quote from: Onslow on June 25, 2017, 18:11:00 PM
That's modest.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

My guess is closer to 500 grand.

I just looked at the photos.  I spent countless days in that kitchen with my grandparents.  Painting of grandmother in one of the photos, and you can see my prized bur oaks planted in the field behind the small red outbuilding.  Mucho memories – all good. 

Onslow

For a complete gutting and restoration with plaster, I can see 500K, particularly if there is wood damage inside the house.  To gut the entire house except for the brick veneer, duplicate the moldings, and modernize.  This would cost nearly 5OOK.  The floors need to be heart pine.

However, it if the wood is fine, one could de lath and plaster the interior, and wire/insulate, then cover with 1/4 inch shitrock, and accomplish this for under 200K.  Sweat may be required on the part of the buyer

My house required all new plumbing, roof, foundation repairs, electrical, MIL suite cabinets, floor refinishing, tile in bathrooms, 1/3 of the floor system was replaced, 800 sq. ft of stone veneer.  100 days of sweat equity, and long nights, and I spent 130,000.  3000 sq. ft.

Just so you all know, 120 year old pine moldings are very brittle.  Mill duplicates from poplar.  No lead paint issues with this route.

Hiner, does this house have any insulation in the exterior walls?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on June 25, 2017, 18:59:08 PM
Hiner, does this house have any insulation in the exterior walls?

No, I don't think so.  It was cold as a witch's tit if I remember correctly.  My late father, who was born in one of the upstairs bedrooms, told me many stories about growing up in that house – multiple quilts and those bed warmer thingies in the wintertime.  He and siblings did acclimate.   

driver

How many square feet, and acres?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Big J

"Quaint village"? Hahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

Dee-Vo

Maybe that place should be the BRFFF house. We could pester Mudwall endlessly.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Ken got me thinking.  Considering the era when the house was built, I'd bet there's a lot of chestnut in the old construction.  Other novelties are: fireplace in every room (likely not functional), cooking kitchen underground in basement with 'dumbwaiter' type deal, cool wood (ID?) in banisters, mantles, etc., bricks locally made (same bricks carted across mountain to famous Warwick plantation house on the Jackson River – movie Sommersby), fragrance and feel of slavery (yes, Gatewood owned several slaves and supported the confederacy).     

If a bit younger or if I won the lottery, I'd buy the place, and give it to the American Humanist Association. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

For comparison – both built by the same slaves, so the story goes. 

Woolly Bugger

You should buy it and airbnb it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 26, 2017, 12:34:25 PM
You should buy it and airbnb it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, my entire ration of hospitality has been appropriated.     

troutfanatic