News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Topsail?

Started by swervinmervin, June 25, 2017, 16:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swervinmervin

I'm headed down to Topsail, NC for a big family vacation in August. I've never done any saltwater flats fishing, but it's always been something I've wanted to do. My 20 year old cousin is an avid fly fisherman in PA, so we want to hire a guide and go for redfish or whatever they have there. Has anyone been down there and have a recommendation?

driver

Quote from: swervinmervin on June 25, 2017, 16:28:14 PM
I'm headed down to Topsail, NC for a big family vacation in August. I've never done any saltwater flats fishing, but it's always been something I've wanted to do. My 20 year old cousin is an avid fly fisherman in PA, so we want to hire a guide and go for redfish or whatever they have there. Has anyone been down there and have a recommendation?
Topsail is not the best place for redfish. But there are some places north and south of there.

Try Capt. Jot Owens or Breadman Charters.

I know nothing of these guides, just that they are in that general area and can accommodate fly fishing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

I've always heard good things about Breadman.

Stone-Man

If the fly rodding sucks , go to the lower end of Topsail and throw a piece of cut mullet where the sound meets the ocean . I have caught a lot of bluefish and a red or two there

JT

burgessbart

Shallow Water Expeditions. Shoot for Japan Stacy . If you get Jack Foley make it clear at the boat launch that you don't want to trip over all his conventional tackle bullshit. Your paying for him to run his flats boat. Not his mouth if you blow a cast or miss a fish. Steve Bachman is another good choice. "The Seahawk" was my tarpon guide until my friend scored his Maverick . East Bay, Crooked Island Pass and the Choc Bay all fish good. Make sure you have a rig set up for bruiser Jack's they will wreck your shit.
* Ahhhhhhhhh. Topsail, NC. Not Topsail resort Florida.[emoji15]. Damn Friday wake and bakes. Trips your GPS sometimes ..