Rubbers - Gotta Have 'Em....Your Preference?

Started by Dee-Vo, June 22, 2017, 15:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

My pickup requires a new set of tires very soon. I'm off-road somewhat often, but put a lot of miles on it by way of paved roads and interstates. All-terrain is in order here. I've heard Michelin are some of the best. BF Goodrich also has my attention. I need something that will last through a lot of miles but can still get it done in the mud/snow etc. The two I've considered are listed below. Any suggestions or comments on either? Something else that's better? The set I have on now are All-Season Good Year Wrangler.

Michelin LTX AT2 - All-terrain but barely from the looks of it. Should last a long while.

BF Goodrich KO2 - Much more aggressive. I'm not sure if these aren't too much for what I need.

The Dude

The AT2s will be the best for you. If you can find some of the old LTX MS2s, get them. Otherwise the Defender LTXs. The KO2s are good performers, but they aren't going to last very long and are heavy/loud/shitty gas mileage. I guarantee you the AT2s will get you anywhere you want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

driver

I used run Bridgestone AT Revos on my Tacoma. I don't like noisy aggressive tread tires. I want quite ride but still have traction in the mud and snow. I was real happy with the Bridgestone but then I got my Tundra I went to my tire guy (a guy I know very well) and asked for the Revos, he said that they were hard to get in my size and would take 3 weeks to get here. He recommended Cooper ATs. They have a more aggressive tread than the Bridgestone and are not noisy and he said the well last as long as the Bridgestone and told me he was on his second set. Since they were about $300 cheaper I went with them, and have been very pleased.

I think they are rated for 50 or 60k miles

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

I've heard great things about the LTX MS and MS2. The AT2 just seems like it'll be much quieter and more durable than others.

A friend of mine that lives in Fancy Gap with plenty of ice and snow loves his Cooper set. He's on his second set.

A tire man told me earlier that Firestone (owned by Bridgestone) Destination AT is a hell of a tire and will last damn close to the rest.

Dee-Vo

My dad has the Revo. Not sure if it's the original or 2. He never drives much so no real testing with him.

The Dude

If you are the type that thinks Shakespeare fly rods are just as good as G Loomis, then by all means get the Coopers. If you can tell the difference when you fish those rods and feel that you need the performance of the Winston to get the most out of your fishing experience, then go with the Michelins.
I don't know a lot about the Revos, but Bridgestone typically makes a decent product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Dee-Vo

I've pretty much had Goodyear in one form or another for the last 6-8 sets of tires on my trucks. Funny thing is that everyone I've asked has mentioned something other than Goodyear.

Rhody

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4WD. Been running Firestone AT's for about 40k right now, best tires I have run for overall performance off road and on road, wear, and low road noise. Not the least noisy set, but not that bad for my truck. Have run 3 sets of Michelins- great mileage, better on fuel economy, lowest noise,over 50k on all sets, but never liked the off road performance, just did not get enough grip with my truck. Had Bridge Revo, complete shit on my truck, 25k at best, wanted them because used to haul a lot and they were supposed to be best, but not on my heavy truck. My tire guy sells a lot of tires and put me on the AT's and will be my next set again.

Tire performance is very dependent on what vehicle you are running them on IMHO.
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Michael Toris

Firestone AT's on my taco. Second set. First had over 60,000 miles on em and probably could have handled another 10k.

Quite ride and great grip. The only tire I'll ever buy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dougfish

Shakespeare fisher here.  ;D

Got a set of Kumho AT on my beater Nissan. Quieter than the all seasons I took off, handles deep snow, gnarly trails/fire roads.
Tread life? I only put about 4-5K on it a year, so I don't know or care.  -0-
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

The feedback is appreciated.

A couple acquaintances of mine have bragged on the Yokohama Geolander AT as well. One said he liked them better than the Firestone AT he had last. Opinions definitely vary.

bmadd

My last set of tires where the Michelin MS2s. Loved um and got damn near 80k miles on um.

Currently running the Firestone ATs and I don't have any complaints about them at all. They do seem to hold small rocks pretty well. After riding with my windows down I'm constantly checking to see if I picked up a nail because I hear so much damn clicking.

Aka

I use magnum XL. They are a bit tight but built well.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Aka on June 23, 2017, 09:38:45 AM
You don't supposed to put them over your arm.....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Aka on June 23, 2017, 09:38:45 AM

But what about mileage? Any?