Lower Niagara Kayak Drift

Started by thelow, June 24, 2017, 11:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelow

I was supposed to Be fishing for smallies and i did get a few of them but about half way through the 3 mile float I saw some yellow perch chasing my big ass clouser.  I'd never caught a perch on a fly rod so I switched up to a small green bugger and started to get perch after perch.  They are a schooling fish so when you get one just keep casting.  These fish fought pretty good but a fast 10 ft 5wt was a bit much for them... they'd be a lot of fun on a soft action 3 wt.  I'd be afraid to fish one in that water though.  The Niagara has muskie as big as small alligators that might snap the rod if things went wrong.

Not long before I got into the perch I saw a big muskie slowly swim by my kayak.  He was cruising with the confidence of something at the very top of the food chain... probably looking for some of those perch for breakfast.  He was at least 40 inches and as I striped the clouser by him he sort of glanced at it but I am sure eating it never crossed his mind.     

I give my maternal Grand Father a lot of shit for being an old bastard (well deserved) but today I really missed him.  He would take me down to one of the marinas and we would catch perch off the docks.  I was little maybe 6 or so when we started and that lasted until I was somewhere around 11.  That was the last time I caught a perch.  I do think that these trips had a lot to do with me developing into a fisherman... even though I got yelled at a lot because I could not just let the bobber sit there.  I guess those trips might have had something to do with me developing into a fly fisherman too then when I think about it.

I pulled up to see the road blocked by a yellow barrier and the below sign

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Kayak fishing by rjeeves, on Flickr

Well as long as I don't die I'm pretty sure I'll have the spot to my self

Big water

One of the many perch... I won't bore you with more than one pic as they were pretty much all the same

What's Rob doing today? https://www.instagram.com/rjeeves716/

Dee-Vo

Beetle

TheLow abides.    Good to have you back.

NCsporksman

Musky dont give a fugg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tomato can

did you eat them perch?  they are tasty.

thelow

Nope... I don't eat anything that lives down drainage from Detroit and Cleveland.   p;-

What's Rob doing today? https://www.instagram.com/rjeeves716/