News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New Water Hit and Miss

Started by Big J, June 17, 2017, 20:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benben reincarnated

Holy fuck the gnats are awful down here right now too.  The stream on Saturday wasn't too awful, but Sunday was miserable.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: benben reincarnated on June 19, 2017, 13:50:51 PM
Holy fuck the gnats are awful down here right now too.  The stream on Saturday wasn't too awful, but Sunday was miserable.

Which gnats?   Any outdoorsman that bitches about insects is a poser and a pussy.  That is all.

I know the location of that pass.  Dude, too much distant relief for Floyd County. 

Nice beetle photo and I still approve of J's taste in lids.  Kudos to you both on the adventure.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Also forgot to add that besides gnats, the other winged critters we saw were a bald eagle in the road eating a deer carcass, a big frickin redtail in a tree Doug wouldn't stop for so I could get a picture, and a redheaded woodpecker that Doug said "oh redheaded woodpecker" in excitement and then had to slam on the breaks to keep from hitting it as it flew right for the car.

Dougfish

I still say that "big friggin redtail" was an immature eagle.
The first redheaded woodpecker I have seen in 2 years was almost a grill ornament. Beautiful, but dumb bird.

I wish I was puffing on Hiner's pipe when those gnats were on us.
Got damn!
I took four pics of J across the crick from me. Gnats blurred three of them.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

The Dude

Quote from: Big J on June 19, 2017, 13:42:44 PM
Quote from: The Dude on June 19, 2017, 13:22:57 PM
It has been many years (and many beers), but that photo of the mountain pass looks like you are in Floyd County looking westward; with views of Butt Mountain, and Sugar Run Mtn/Flat Top Mtn in Giles County inthe far background.  Methinks you were somewhere in the neighborhood of Buffalo Knob if I had to guess.

Good guess, but nope. A hint. This mountain pass has some history to it as well.

Damn that Ridge and Valley province.  I'm more used to the Blue Ridge physiographic region of WNC and SC.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Yallerhammer

My grandpa always said that the best way to keep the gnats out of your face was to cut a hole in the ass of your britches......
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff