News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Memory Lane

Started by Onslow, June 18, 2017, 19:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

It was my wife's now 87 year old aunt Lois, who steered me away from fishing east slope pune lines, and encouraged me to look Northward.  Lois married a dude at age 15 who loved to fish, and she ended up being an avid fishing gal through the years until she reached the early 70s, at which point her husband was incapacitated by 3 strokes in 18 months. There is much to talk about regarding matters of current events and such, but she regales my family with all manner of fishing stories.  Some of these stories include fishing the New from inner tubes, pulling 4 pound browns from unstocked waters, or scaring bulls while walking through a pasture with makeshift rain gear.

Today I chose to honor her by taking on the task of hitting a hatchery water with the hope of walking a way with a 15 pound stringer of trout.  I haven't pulled such a stunt in 8 years.  I got up at 4:45 to hit a the appropriate beat.  Upon my arrival, it was obvious I needed to go somewhere else where the water was clear.  The opaqueness of the water was apparent at 6 AM.  My gut told me to head to Virginia towards Troutdale, but I did not want to drive that far.  I ended up going to stretch that I had not fished in 20 years.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Deposited by wading boots under the bridge, dropped my truck off 2 miles upstream, and walked back down to kick things off. The bridge was littered with beer cans, panther martin packages.  Just upstream, I was greeted with an endless string of cabins in the rhodo.

After a quarter mile was covered, I started moving fish, and caught several punes, and then one that was respectable, and very colorful.

After trudging through a long sandy flat stretch choked with drooping Witch hazel, Rhodo, and dead-falls, a gravel bottom ripple run was approached flanked by a good eddy seam on the right.  Latched on a decent fish, and it came unglued.  Tossed up a bit higher straight up the featureless riffle, and a beast of a brown engaged.  I felt good, perhaps a little too confident in my freshly knotted 4x.  This brown chopped it jaws and shook its head while attempting to fight upstream, but I just wanted to land the bitch.  I pulled its ass down into the pull, but that was a mistake.  I was able to keep it out of the wood, but as it neared an open slot between some deadwood, it turned 90 degrees, and got traction.  I put on the brakes a little too hard, and that was the end b';

Regarding the stringer of fish, it did not happen.  Went to Food Lion, and walked out with some salmon.  A supper consisting of the purchased flesh, and a bountiful spread of fresh garden vegges was consumed.  A great day it was.

Dougfish

I salute your venture and motivation!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Right on Ken.  You know where that beast is when you want to try your luck again with him.

Onslow

Yes, but it dwells in that large sand flat choked with low-hanging limbs and debris, and probably only feeds 15 minutes a day in the riffle.  That is the nature of fishing for brown trout in my part of the world. 

The fella who was high holing me for half of the trip also moved a 19-inch Brown. 

troutfanatic

they always put those signs up but I never see the posts they keep referring to. It'd be nice to have a place to set my beer.

BrookieHunter

Losing a big fish is always a bummer.