News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Drop Off - Pick Up services.

Started by KevinD62, June 10, 2017, 23:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Kevin, if you truly want an interesting experience, perhaps you should try exploring the plateaus of Middle Tennessee. There is a reason why no one here gives two s**** about the Tuckasegee in the Nantahala.  I would give an arm to spend the week at the Big South Fork gorge in Tennessee. You couldn't pay me to fish the Tuckasegee.

troutfanatic

Hey Kevin.

Although I hate to admit it, I gotta go with Onslow on this one. I used to do two trips a year out there and fish all through Sylva, Dillsboro and Bryson. It really is touron central from May to October. I would seek the water less traveled. Its bad enough I gotta buy licenses in five damn states, I cant see spending large dollars to go hit hatchery fish. There are plenty of good wadable wild streams in that region, some that get almost no pressure. The floatybote thing ain't me. Ask Al.

Yallerhammer

Tuck is good fishing for doughbellies, but there are plenty of other streams in the area that are just as good or better doughbelly water if that's what you're after, and are small enough to wade and aren't covered with tourists, guides, and navy flotillas of guides in drift boats. It also has some tributaries that are a lot better fishing than the main stem. I live really close to the Tuck and pretty much never fish it, if that says anything. I used to fish the some Tuck specifically for big browns. They're in there, along with the occasional musky. If I'm on the Tuck, I'm usually down toward Bryson after smallmouth, white bass, or walleye.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

KevinD62

What about the French Broad or the Pigeon Rivers?  Looks like after they cross in to NC the wander through lots of unihabited areas.  Most of the other rivers I'm looking at on the satelite photos look like they're lined with houses and such from end to end. 
Kevin
"Fight like you're the third monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark."
"Of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy."

benben reincarnated

Quote from: KevinD62 on June 13, 2017, 10:45:38 AM
What about the French Broad or the Pigeon Rivers?  Looks like after they cross in to NC the wander through lots of unihabited areas.  Most of the other rivers I'm looking at on the satelite photos look like they're lined with houses and such from end to end.

You can float wherever you want on the French Broad below Rosman:

http://frenchbroadpaddle.com/

The Pigeon more or less is the same below Canton but you don't have as many designated take outs and such.

The French Broad is more attractive from an ability to camp perspective.

JMiller

Quote from: Onslow on June 12, 2017, 11:03:20 AM
Kevin, if you truly want an interesting experience, perhaps you should try exploring the plateaus of Middle Tennessee. There is a reason why no one here gives two s**** about the Tuckasegee in the Nantahala.  I would give an arm to spend the week at the Big South Fork gorge in Tennessee. You couldn't pay me to fish the Tuckasegee.

Dude you're gonna get some flatlander killed telling him to run the BSF in a pontoon.  :laugh:
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

You ask too many questions.

The French Broad, and Pigeon are smallmouth bass waters.

If you want to catch trout, go to the Hiwassee, Watauga, Clinch, Soho. 

BTW, you need to honestly assess you boating prowess, and river knowledge before embarking on random escapades on the river.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Onslow on June 13, 2017, 12:03:38 PM

BTW, you need to honestly assess you boating prowess, and river knowledge before embarking on random escapades on the river.

The upper reaches of the French Broad and Pigeon are trout waters, but they are getting out of the floaty-boat category by the time that happens.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Onslow on June 13, 2017, 12:03:38 PM

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login