Michael Toris

Quote from: Grannyknot on May 26, 2017, 12:04:01 PM
my friend got a pinewood derby car stuck up his ass
Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jfey

Man, can't believe you called Bmadd out on that one.   

Side note, I won the Pinewood Derby once.  My Dad designed one hell of a fast car.
Yup, going fishing

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Jfey on May 26, 2017, 15:17:49 PM

Side note, I won the Pinewood Derby once.  My Dad designed one hell of a fast car.

3rd place three years running, last one was a winner, but they dropped it and bent an axel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

bmadd

The second part of your post is so unbelievable it's funny

Jfey

Quote from: bmadd on May 26, 2017, 15:35:38 PM

The second part of your post is so unbelievable it's funny

We implemented several key modifications

1. bored out the inside and filled it with melted lead-  the extra weight was the key to victory
2.  filed down the wheels so there was less friction
3.  added silicone spray to the axles

Those other suckers never stood a chance.
Yup, going fishing

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutfanatic on May 26, 2017, 10:38:06 AM
I'm not sure I understand where you are going with it Mudwall.

Likely I'm going in a direction that makes some very uncomfortable.  This thread has morphed into an area not exactly suited for this forum, but you asked, and it certainly is a topic that's rolled around in my empty noggin for many moons.

Certain aspects of religious fervor, with sometimes subtle directions, make me cringe with questions that likely have no answers.

One is I fail to wrap my mind around why organizations have maxims or oaths with entities (in our discussion it would be a deity) that few if any youth would fully understand and/or actually care about.  Some of you said that clubs like the Scouts do great things and have a positive influence, and I BELIEVE YOU, and that these positive attributes outweigh any tidbits of religion that may emerge.  I am sorry; there is no way I will ever understand this logic.  My fault, my blemish, and not yours or others short coming. 

Then there are the terms I hear very often --- Muslim children, Christian children, etc.  Say what?!?!  I cringe.  These children probably have NO idea of what they are!

Next is the long held practice of never questioning or certainly not condemning or judging any aspect of the regional religion, Christianity in our neck-of-the-woods.  Everything and their dog is fair game for open criticism, except religion.  Question and you'll likely feel the wrath or referred to as an asshole, as I think Ken proposed.   

When I say The Pledge, I say "......one nation indivisible, with liberty and Justice for all."   I could never bring myself to say "under God" after puberty.  To me personally, it would be the definitive hypocritical move.   I could never win public office, not even dog warden.  I am comfortable with that. 

If I'm wrong and get to the judgment gate, and they say "Hiner, you never believed, what do you have to say?"  My reply will be, "You never provided me with any evidence. Would you rather I had been a hypocritical sheep?"  I think I pilfered the design from the late Bertrand Russell.

You folks rock on and as stated before, I was not trying to piss any of you off, but if I did, you can pound sand!

Peace and goodwill!     
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Beetle

It's ok Hiner.    I suspect many of us ask the same questions........often.    I know I do.

In other scouting news:   My oldest,  Buglet I, passed his Eagle Board of Review last week.    He's on his final shake down hike this weekend for Philmont.   That kid loves to camp!

croaker

Quote from: Phil on May 26, 2017, 08:06:01 AM
" All that is required
is the acknowledgment of belief in God as stated in
the Declaration of Religious Principle and the Scout Oath,
and the ability to be reverent as stated in the Scout Law."

There it is. Atheists need not apply to scouting. Can we say religious bias? Yes, I thought we could.

Religion is a a form of beliefs,  if atheists believe there is/are  no god(s) it sounds like a a form of religion to me.

Everyone should believe in something or nothing.

I believe I'll have another beer.

0:0

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Phil

I'm an agnostic.
Have a beer for me, Don.  /'/

croaker

Quote from: Beetle on May 26, 2017, 18:39:21 PM
It's ok Hiner.    I suspect many of us ask the same questions........often.    I know I do.

In other scouting news:   My oldest,  Buglet I, passed his Eagle Board of Review last week.    He's on his final shake down hike this weekend for Philmont.   That kid loves to camp!

Congrats to your son on Passing the Eagle Board of review!  He's in the short rows now.

croaker

Eagle Scout 1974.
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Dougfish

Good stuff here. I think.
High five, Beetle. To you, wife and son!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

@beetle congrats lot of work there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Well this has been one heck of a rabbit trail.

Lithwan

Quote from: croaker on May 26, 2017, 19:16:37 PM
Quote from: Phil on May 26, 2017, 08:06:01 AM
" All that is required
is the acknowledgment of belief in God as stated in
the Declaration of Religious Principle and the Scout Oath,
and the ability to be reverent as stated in the Scout Law."

There it is. Atheists need not apply to scouting. Can we say religious bias? Yes, I thought we could.

Religion is a a form of beliefs,  if atheists believe there is/are  no god(s) it sounds like a a form of religion to me.

Everyone should believe in something or nothing.

I believe I'll have another beer.

0:0

Religion, or the belief in the supernatural is, because of the lack of emperical evidence, an act of faith. Yet these ideas about the nature of reality are something a believer claims to know or believe, reguardless of any evidence.

An atheist, holding believers to a standard they can not meet, requires more than faith. I don't know of any non believer that would deny the supernatural, given sufficient evidence. If significant proof was provided, the supernatural would, at that point, become part of the natural, and any skeptic would have to accept it.

If an incredible idea is put forth, the burden of proof lies with the originator. Hopes, wants, and beliefs must be put aside, if any rational argument is to be made.