Philpott / Smith River Planned Releases

Started by Al, May 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Quote from: Dee-Vo on February 05, 2019, 18:39:41 PM
I've had a hankering to visit the Smith. Will it ever be back to fishable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are working on it - In fact I am involved with talks right now for a compromise with more wader friendly flows /'/   we will see!

The problem right now is no matter what we agree to there is just too much water coming into the dam. Not sure if that will abate later this spring but if it does I am hopeful that we can compromise as to the timing of when it goes through the turbines.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Al on February 05, 2019, 20:38:03 PM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on February 05, 2019, 18:39:41 PM
I've had a hankering to visit the Smith. Will it ever be back to fishable?

We are working on it - In fact I am involved with talks right now for a compromise with more wader friendly flows /'/   we will see!

The problem right now is no matter what we agree to there is just too much water coming into the dam. Not sure if that will abate later this spring but if it does I am hopeful that we can compromise as to the timing of when it goes through the turbines.

Kudos for your efforts.

creakycane

Thanks for looking into the flow situation, Al.   Hopefully they can double release a bit to give a few hours w/o generation each day?  I'm sure there would be quite a bit of interest in this!
Thanks again.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

ryguy

Yeah, that's a lot of rain!  I guess the Smith won't be wadeable anytime soon...  Bummer, visiting family in the region this weekend and was looking to try out my Spey rod.

driver

And the caddis should be starting to come off..................... b';

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

creakycane

Well, the tape hasn't been updated since mid Feb.  Talking to an operator and an ACE contact, I get the feeling they are going to keep the one generator going for quite a while 24/7 , then get into the more "normal" (for the past year) 8AM - Midnight.  When?  I have no idea.  Hoping the budding trees and and plants slurp up the water in a hurry.

Dougfish

We'll have mo info after our meeting tomorrow night. You are welcome to join us, of course.  -0-
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Al

This just came across my desk - looks like they may be down for repairs - as always check the gauge and announcement.

"PHILPOTT:  Due to issues with the unit the 690 MWH secondary energy is being reduced by 632 MWH (58 MWH were generated Saturday and Monday). The 225 MWH Firm energy is being transferred to Kerr."

Al

Not much love for the wade fisherman b';

Philpott Generation Schedule for May 18th-24th
Sat. 18th, 9am-11pm
Sun. 19th, 9am-11pm
Mon. 20th, 4am-11pm
Tues. 21st, 5am-11pm
Wed. 22nd, 6am-11pm
Thur. 23rd, 6am-10pm
Fri. 24th, 6am-10pm
*Note: This schedule is subject to change without notice.

streamereater_101691

good news since they are forecasting possible record highs this coming week

Al

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on May 16, 2019, 19:04:52 PMgood news since they are forecasting possible record highs this coming week

Actually not so much good news.

I'm not a water flow expert or fisheries biologist but this is what I heard at the December SRTU meeting. According to DGIF the one turbine at 700cfs all day long is not chilling the water the way two turbines at 1400 for a shorter period was. It seems the 700 cfs flow has more of a chance to warm as it goes downstream.

With that in mind we are in talks with COE about running the one turbine and the sluice gate so the flow gets up to 1400cfs - this would clear the inflows to Philpott twice as fast in a controlled manner which was main purpose of the dam in the first place, ie flood control. Unfortunately that mission has morphed over into revenue making with every gallon of water that does not go through the turbine viewed as revenue lost.

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Al on May 16, 2019, 21:35:27 PM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on May 16, 2019, 19:04:52 PMgood news since they are forecasting possible record highs this coming week

Actually not so much good news.

I'm not a water flow expert or fisheries biologist but this is what I heard at the December SRTU meeting. According to DGIF the one turbine at 700cfs all day long is not chilling the water the way two turbines at 1400 for a shorter period was. It seems the 700 cfs flow has more of a chance to warm as it goes downstream.

With that in mind we are in talks with COE about running the one turbine and the sluice gate so the flow gets up to 1400cfs - this would clear the inflows to Philpott twice as fast in a controlled manner which was main purpose of the dam in the first place, ie flood control. Unfortunately that mission has morphed over into revenue making with every gallon of water that does not go through the turbine viewed as revenue lost.

I understand everything you just pointed out Al. 700cfs is much better than 55cfs. This week, flow will hit the lower river at the warmest part of the day.

Al

I am not near the Smith right now but my guess is they have received a ton of rain - Philpott is slucicing. One upside is it will chill the water. Here is the latest..................

Opening a sluice gate at Philpott to a 1.5 ft setting for an additional flow of 655 cfs (equivalent to having the second unit online).