Philpott / Smith River Planned Releases

Started by Al, May 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

The latest - don't expect things to change as long as we keep getting rain.

PHILPOTT
Currently near elevation 974.25 ft.
Generating 24 hours through Friday.
Declaration for next week calls for 16 hours of generation on average each day.

KERR
Currently near elevation 309.3 ft.
Heavier than expected rain over the past weekend on top of rainfall from Florence kept inflows higher this week prompting slightly higher releases next week.
Releases from Rapids will be stepping up this weekend to 28,500 cfs for next week.

FYI - I took part in the tour of Philpott Dam last weekend. Received a lot of trivia info about the building of the dam. One item that was not trivia was they have received funding to replace the two old turbines. They are currently in the design phase. The first one to be replaced will be the one which is beyond repair. This is a whole new territory and the replacement of the 1st one will not physically begin for about 3 years. How that replacement goes will be used as a learning experience and dictate how and when the 2nd one is replaced.

driver

Are they going to shut the water off for the clean up?

Al

Quote from: driver on September 27, 2018, 22:08:13 PM
Are they going to shut the water off for the clean up?

No - There is too much water coming into the watershed.

The clean up will be mainly a road and along the banks clean up.  Hope you will join us.

streamereater_101691

FYI..The florence monsoon triggered the start of lake turnover. Silty, 63 degree water coming out of philpott right now until the lake water mixes well. 

Dougfish

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on October 01, 2018, 19:48:40 PM
FYI..The florence monsoon triggered the start of lake turnover. Silty, 63 degree water coming out of philpott right now until the lake water mixes well.

The worst.  b';  :;!  n!n
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Al

This came to me today............. passing it on.

PHILPOTT
Currently near elevation 975.1 ft.
Generating 12-18 hours through Friday.

KERR
Currently near elevation 304.5 ft.
As per the betterment plan releases from Rapids will be stepping down starting at midnight tonight.
Flows will be near 24k for the weekend. Monday flows will be ramped down from 24k to 15k which will be held through Friday.
The betterment will last through the following week and should bring the lake within 0.5-1 ft of guide curve by the end of the week without any additional rain.

Al

Surfs up guys -need to go hunting or tie some flies.

PHILPOTT
Currently near elevation 979.0 ft (7.5 ft above guide curve) and appears to have peaked at 979.08 ft.
Generating 12-18 hours through Friday.
Sluice releases were started this morning to help turn the lake. Current outflows totaling near 1700 cfs.

KERR
Currently near elevation 304.15 ft (5.4 ft above guide curve) and rising.
Forecast peak elevation 312.5-313.5 near the middle of next week.
Inflows for today and tomorrow are expected to be in the 100,000 to nearly 150,000 cfs range.
Next week's original declaration called for step down of flows from Roanoke Rapids from 15,000 cfs to 10,000 cfs.

***However, based on extremely high current and forecast inflows into Kerr we anticipate increasing outflows from Roanoke Rapids to 35,000 cfs starting Wednesday. This will be confirmed with a follow up email Monday with additional details based on actual inflows over the weekend.***

Al

I don't know what to say except you had better bring a raft or go fishing elsewhere.........

Philpott Generation Schedule for Oct 27-Nov 2.
Sat 27, 6am-11pm
Sun 28, 6am-10pm
Mon 29, 5am-12am midnight
Tues 30, 5am-12am midnight
Wed 31, 5am-12am midnight
Thur 1, 5am-11pm
Fri 2, 5am-11pm

On the bright side they are saying the lake is now down to normal pool or at least it was before the rain today - if Mother Nature would just shut off the spigot maybe we can get some wade fishing in. 

Woolly Bugger

the inch and a half of rain today ain't gonna help the situation

gofundmyraft.com
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

In case you are wondering  https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=02073000   2150 cfs today - might be time to get a surf board.

Al

It is not on the announcement yet but my sources tell me there will be a maintenance shut down from 0700 on the 19th through 1700 hrs on the 20th (Wed - Thru) .  Once again be sure to check the recording but this might be a good time to do a little wading.

Dougfish

Quote from: Al on December 17, 2018, 18:54:27 PM
It is not on the announcement yet but my sources tell me there will be a maintenance shut down from 0700 on the 19th through 1700 hrs on the 20th (Wed - Thru) .  Once again be sure to check the recording but this might be a good time to do a little wading.

Hmmm. My schedule could be manipulated.  -0-
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

ryguy

Probably going to be one of the few fishable waters after this next bit of rain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougfish

Quote from: ryguy on December 18, 2018, 20:03:14 PM
Probably going to be one of the few fishable waters after before this next bit of rain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Al

Well so much for wading - here is the latest  b';

"Philpott has an unscheduled plant outage beginning 0700 Wednesday (12/19) ending 1700 Thursday (12/20).

During the plant outage one sluice gate will be open to 2.5 ft (1060 cfs)."
[/u]