Philpott / Smith River Planned Releases

Started by Al, May 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFStultz

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 14, 2018, 01:04:36 AM
Would be nice if they would cut the water off by 5 or 6 on the weekend.... jis sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been floating it some at 650 and it's surprising how much is actually wadeable with the water on.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: IFStultz on July 16, 2018, 10:52:26 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 14, 2018, 01:04:36 AMWould be nice if they would cut the water off by 5 or 6 on the weekend.... jis sayin Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been floating it some at 650 and it’s surprising how much is actually wadeable with the water on. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good deal, i'll have to check it out....

hate that the sulfurs were "powered over" this year....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

streamereater_101691

Quotehate that the sulfurs were "powered over" this year....

for wading yes, for floating, absolutely not. They don't get a good look at the bug at 650 and eat very well

Al

Just got word that Philpot, Kerr and Gaston are at or about at full pool. They are going to be drawing down all this weekend and most of next week.

Check the announcements before venturing out.

In the case of Pillpott I crossed a couple of bridges this morning and it is brown and moving right along

Fishbug

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on July 18, 2018, 21:41:54 PM

for wading yes, for floating, absolutely not. They don't get a good look at the bug at 650 and eat very well

What kind of boat are you floating? Any details on when—-start of generation/mid/end?

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Fishbug on August 08, 2018, 13:47:29 PM

What kind of boat are you floating? Any details on when—-start of generation/mid/end?

Quote from: Fishbug on August 08, 2018, 13:47:29 PM

Canoe and now a stealthcraft hooligan xl. Something with an anchor to set up on a rising fish. Finding a steady riser hasn't been very difficult for me. They really head towards the shore and cover to grab an easy meal. Haven't streamer fished yet, but I bet it will be pretty good this fall. Depends on when the bugs hatch of course. I've been giving them an hour or so to get acclimated to the flow. Being that now we are at the tail end of the event, it has been prolific, but short and close to dusk. Spinner fall was pretty dang good on sunday night. Better numbers and size of bugs up top now. I pray we never see 1500cfs again.

Al

I pulled this from the COE FB page

WATER RELEASE UPDATE!  We try to maintain a normal lake level and do not draw down the lake prior to a storm.  If we send a lot of water downstream it would have increased the potential of flooding. We do try to bring the lake to a normal level as quickly, but cautiously as we can. 

If the lake is 8 feet high and we hold that water too long and get another storm soon after, we've reduced the amout of flood storage we have by eight feet for that second storm.  The best way to reduce flood risk to downstream communities is operate these reservoir projects as they were designed, which is to capture floodwaters flowing into these reservoirs during storm events and then to release that stored water in a controlled less-damaging manner after downstream conditions start to improve.

Al

This just in .....................

"Declaring an additional 187.5 MWH from Philpott to support 24 hour generation beginning 0800 tomorrow 19 Sep."

Al

Time to go fishing else where .............. It looks like the 24 hr 670 cfs can't keep up with the inflow so they have opened the sluice gate as well.

Earlier this morning email which I am Cc on distribution line ............

"Philpott initiated 24 hour generation (670 cfs) at 0800 this morning. Please open one sluice gate to 2.5 ft (1075 cfs)"

Just now email which I am Cc on distribution line ...........

"Philpott Sluice #2 opened 2.5' at 11:10 OT on 19-Sept"

driver

This is

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Al

Looks like well into next week as well ...................

"Kerr/Philpott Energy Declaration for 22 - 28 Sep 2018 (Flood Operations)

PHILPOTT:  Declaring firm energy (300 MWH) and 960 MWH secondary energy resulting in unit 1 generating 24 hours through next week.

KERR:  Declaring firm energy (3370 MWH) and 27430 MWH secondary energy resulting in an equivalent 7-day average flow from Kerr of 25,000 cfs."
[/i]

Big J

Al

The latest ......................

PHILPOTT
Currently near elevation 977.8 ft.
The lake peaked the morning of the 19th at 978.56 ft.
Current releases are near 1725 cfs and will be held over the weekend before flows are reduced next week.

KERR
Currently near elevation 308.4 ft.
Looking at a peak of 308.5-309 ft
Releases from Gaston will be near 16,000 cfs before ramping up over the weekend to 25,000 cfs to be released through next week.

Al

FYI. The one functioning turbine is no longer functional. They are trying to repair it. In the meantime they are dumping 1700 cfs in attempt to keep ahead of the inflow.

Dougfish

Quote from: Al on September 21, 2018, 14:13:08 PM
FYI. The one functioning turbine is no longer functional. They are trying to repair it. In the meantime they are dumping 1700 cfs in attempt to keep ahead of the inflow.

The tours of the powerhouse should be really special tomorrow.  :laugh:   b';
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006