Philpott / Smith River Planned Releases

Started by Al, May 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Well it could have been worse - Here is the latest...............

"The last week has produced a tremendous amount of rain, pushing river flows above flood stage and resulting in inflows into Kerr over  80,000 cfs for most of Saturday and Sunday. Dan and Roanoke River flows, and thus inflows into Kerr, have peaked, but there is still plenty of water being stored in the lake.

The headwaters of Philpott were spared, relatively speaking, so inflows are falling off fairly quickly. Philpott currently 975.5 ft and falling; releasing ~630 cfs through single unit generation. Anticipate modest sluice releases this week, targeting elevation 974 ft by Friday".

Al

They have some more up to date info - here it is............

"Philpott is running 24/7 generation this week, so no additional energy can be added. However, anticipate additional releases through sluice gate beginning this afternoon."

About an hour later this came in..............

"We will be increasing releases this afternoon - opening one sluice gate one foot for an additional 450 cfs.
Total flow from dam will be ~1100 cfs.  Anticipate holding the rate of release until Thursday".

Al

Things are looking up  ;D  Now if we can keep the rains in check.   Here is the latest .........................

Philpott:
- Currently nr elevation 974.5 ft and falling.
- Making 450 cfs sluice releases since Monday afternoon, in addition to 24-hr generation, to manage the lake levels this week. Anticipate stopping sluice gate releases this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Declaration for next week is expected to result in a more normal generation schedule (i.e. no generation this weekend, and moderate generation schedule for the weekdays).

- Targeting elevation 974 ft for the weekend.

An hour later this came to me ......................

"Philpott Sluice Gate #2 closed at 1300 OT"

dhjunkie

Looking up indeed.  Thanks for the update Al.

creakycane

according to the message on the phone line, May 24 - May 31 will have 24 hour generation. >:(

Dougfish

Quote from: creakycane on May 24, 2018, 19:31:52 PM
according to the message on the phone line, May 24 - May 31 will have 24 hour generation. >:(

That's what I just heard, too.  n!n
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Al

It is to late for me to inquire as to what is going on this weekend but I will do so early next week. I understand flood stage abatement and also understand the reason we are getting prolonged generation due to only one generator, but once the lake level is down I think it is time for Dominion Power to be a little more accommodating. 

Stand by.

Dougfish

They probably looked at the forecast. A few more inches headed this way?
But anyhow.....those fukkers.  n!n  -+;  n!n  :;!  :banana-fu:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

creakycane

It's updated again, and there will be down periods so all is not lost!

Al

Quote from: creakycane on May 26, 2018, 08:34:49 AM
It's updated again, and there will be down periods so all is not lost!

Here is the latest - Mostly morning fishing opportunity but if you get downstream you can fish well into the afternoons.  Go get 'em ;D

Generation schedule for May 26- June 1.

Sat. 26- 12pm-9pm
Sun. 27- 2pm-7pm
Mon. 28- 2pm-7pm
Tues. 29- 12pm-9pm
Wed. 30- 1pm-8pm
Thus. 31- 4pm-7pm
Fri. 1- 5pm-7pm

*note, this schedule is subject to change.

Al

Cut and paste from the Philpott Facebook page

Philpott Generation Schedule for July 14-20.
Sat. 14th, 2-7pm
Sun. 15th, 2-8pm
Mon. 16th, 11am-9pm
Tues. 17th, 12-8pm
Wed. 18th, 12-8pm
Thurs. 19th, 12-7pm
Fri. 20th, 1-7pm
*Note: this schedule is subject to change without notice

driver

Quote from: Al on July 13, 2018, 16:30:18 PM

Sat. 14th, 2-7pm
Sun. 15th, 2-8pm
Mon. 16th, 11am-9pm
Tues. 17th, 12-8pm
Wed. 18th, 12-8pm
Thurs. 19th, 12-7pm
Fri. 20th, 1-7pm
What happened to no weekend releases

Big J

Quote from: driver on July 13, 2018, 17:07:08 PM

Sat. 14th, 2-7pm
Sun. 15th, 2-8pm
Mon. 16th, 11am-9pm
Tues. 17th, 12-8pm
Wed. 18th, 12-8pm
Thurs. 19th, 12-7pm
Fri. 20th, 1-7pm

You want weekend releases. They have always done weekend releases in summer to keep the lower smith trout alive.

Al

Quote from: Big J on July 13, 2018, 18:07:17 PM
Quote from: driver on July 13, 2018, 17:07:08 PM

Sat. 14th, 2-7pm
Sun. 15th, 2-8pm
Mon. 16th, 11am-9pm
Tues. 17th, 12-8pm
Wed. 18th, 12-8pm
Thurs. 19th, 12-7pm
Fri. 20th, 1-7pm

You want weekend releases. They have always done weekend releases in summer to keep the lower smith trout alive.

Big J is right - we need all the cool water we can get to include weekends, especially since they are only turning one turbine. The use of one turbine has changed things a lot. We hated the fire hose effect of two turbines but it did have the effect of cooling things off in a hurry. Now the water is flowing at a reduced cfs which gives it a chance to warm up faster as it flows downstream. We thought we were in good shape when we lobbied DGIF to extend the managed trout water beyond the Martinsville Dam to the Mitchel Bridge - an additional 10 miles. That fishery is now in jeopardy as we enter the doldrums of summer. It is just not a matter of more water - the temperatures behind Philpott Dam have also increased. No one is sure if this is because of a global warming trend or perhaps the strata of the lake has changed because of 2 years of "free flow" while they were making repairs at the dam.

FYI - The Philpott COE, DGIF and SRTU are working together to do all we can to save the fishery.  Will we be successful - no one knows? Pray for rain and an early onset of cooler temperatures.

Woolly Bugger

Would be nice if they would cut the water off by 5 or 6 on the weekend.... jis sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!