Philpott / Smith River Planned Releases

Started by Al, May 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Looks like they are back up and running - This is the latest as of today. Start checking the phone announcement.  Only one turbine but it will get you in trouble if you are not aware of your surroundings.

"Unit 1 is available for generation and is running this week on a limited schedule.

Anticipate generation Monday through Friday several hours each day, with station service unit flow 24/7.
We are closing the low flow valve until Thursday afternoon"

Al

The latest. Get out and get'em this weekend ;D.    They are still tweaking things a bit but looks like we are about back to regular scheduling.  Keep checking the phone announcement 276-629-2432 

"We will be making releases through the station service unit this weekend - beginning after scheduled generation today (5pm) and lasting through start of generation Monday morning.
We are working with SEPA to determine next week's declaration, so expect the schedule for next week to be sent out tomorrow.

Air temperatures are expected to be cool in the Smith Basin this weekend, but we will be monitoring water temperatures on the River throughout the weekend.
Although the station service unit is rated to release 30 cfs, the flows in the Smith River below the dam at the Philpott USGS gage have been reading close to 60 cfs between unit 1 generation this past week. The minimum flows at Bassett this past week have been nr 70 cfs."

Woolly Bugger

Don't think the temp swings are going to do the trouts any good!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 15, 2017, 21:39:45 PM
Don't think the temp swings are going to do the trouts any good!

You are right Woolly - They can see the results of those temp swings when they age the fish back in the laboratory.  The fish get confused and go into winter mode. They don't feed as much on what little food there is. That is why fish in the upper river are stunted for the most part. 

It will be interesting to hear what the past two years of constant flows did to the fish. We think it was good for growth but won't know for sure until the biologist crunch all the numbers and issue their report at the SRTU meeting on December 7th.

troutfanatic

my research project should have some real clues when we run the stats on upper river 2015 vs upper river 2017. Unfortunately I had to use 2015 data to meet my timeline and it doesn't tell us much of anything we don't already know.

I had to review a half dozen papers on the tailwater effect, do not be fooled into thinking that temp spikes are the only problem. I focused on lack of forage fish and crayfish in the upper river. While I did invert biomass, it was in line with the observations of T. Newcomb and the Orth study.

Virginia has numerous species of crayfish, some can easily tolerate the mean discharge temp of 8 degrees Celsius. What species are in the Smith is unknown to me, so temps could be a factor, but so can alternating depths and velocities. Remember, these little critters need food too. This comes via leaf litter and other detritus that is pretty easily washed away at 400 CFS or better. Sedimentation is also a key problem in tailwaters. This is why the last half mile before MV dam is unproductive unless you are into suckers, chubs and the like. The substrate is all muck.

I present on Tuesday. Wish me luck.

Onslow

TF, nearly all Foothill streams have silt issues due to moderate rainfall, hilly terrain, and poorly suited land use.  The issue with the build up above Martinsville has more to do with Martinsville dam than Philpott.  Heck, the dams on Big Elkin creek near my house are almost entirely backfilled by sediment.

I'm of the opinion nearly all negatives at the upper Smith stem from the loathsome pulse release.  The most severe pulse release river I can think of in NC is the Pee Dee below Tillery.  Ain't much of a fishery there.  Tailwaters such as the Neuse below Falls Lake, Roanoke River below Roanoke Rapids lake, and many other more stable tailwaters are more productive than natural river environs.

Al

Heads up again guys - find someplace else to fish for at least all of next week.

"We are increasing this week's declaration again at Philpott, beginning 24-hr generation with one unit Friday. Anticipate extending 24/7 generation through end of next week.

Sluice releases will be needed also for a few days to manage lake levels."

Al

Here is the latest - Go fishing elsewhere for at least another week.

"We are increasing this week's declaration again at Philpott, beginning 24-hr generation with one unit Friday. 

Anticipate extending 24/7 generation through end of next week.  Sluice releases will be needed also for a few days to manage lake levels".

Al

Here is the latest - still not good to include the weekend. You might be able to wade the wide spots at 450cfs but it will be rough.  Go elsewhere b';

"Philpott:  Only Unit 1 in service. Declaring total of 840 MWH. This equates to roughly 450 cfs daily average for the entire week.
We have coordinated with SEPA to generate 120 MWH Saturday and Sunday (providing a daily average of 450 cfs each day) in order to keep the lake from rising over the weekend. The generation for the rest of the week allows for more operational flexibility to meet peak demands".

Al

Get ready for it - next week is looking good. Just in time for some top-water action.

"Philpott:  Only Unit 1 in service. Declaring total of 765 MWH. This equates to roughly 200 cfs daily average for the entire week".

Al

Quote from: Al on May 09, 2018, 15:02:17 PM
Get ready for it - next week is looking good. Just in time for some top-water action.

"Philpott:  Only Unit 1 in service. Declaring total of 765 MWH. This equates to roughly 200 cfs daily average for the entire week".

Correction to what I posted about 3 hours ago.  Be sure you call the announcement (276-629-2432) which should be updated on Friday

Philpott: Only Unit 1 in service. Declaring total of 765 MWH; equates to about 415 cfs weekly (7-day) average outflow (however, actual daily average outflows will vary depending on generation schedule each day).

Dougfish

Generating next 7 days. Check the message! Bastages.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Al

Quote from: Dougfish on May 11, 2018, 11:02:23 AM
Generating next 7 days. Check the message! Bastages.

Go early and get downstream - stay ahead of the flow - ie water will not hit Stanleytown Bridge until mid morning and down in Koehler about noon.

Be aware of your surroundings and in an area where you can get out if you are playing it close to flow arrival time. If you get out on the wrong side of the stream it will be a long walk back to your vehicle.

Al

b'; b'; b'; It is not looking good for the following week. Here is the latest....................

"Apologies for the lateness of the declaration...the timing and duration of this storm event is a challenge.  Revisions to the declaration are very likely based on how the remainder of this multi-day event plays out rainfall-wise.

PHILPOTT:  Declaring 1035 MWH secondary, for a weekly total of 1260 MWH.  Declaration supports continuous generation starting Saturday; however, in the extremely unlikely event that rainfall is inadequate to support continuous generation for the entire week, secondary energy could possibly be reduced with advanced notice next week".

Dougfish

Need to stock it.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006