Philpott / Smith River Planned Releases

Started by Al, May 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

The flows for the last three days are the same. 6 degrees lower. ???
That same day, Bassett, recorded 66. Gauge have a hiccup? Don't know.
But those flows have me worried. Air temps need to stay low.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Al

Quote from: Dougfish on October 04, 2017, 19:25:44 PM
The flows for the last three days are the same. 6 degrees lower. ???
That same day, Bassett, recorded 66. Gauge have a hiccup? Don't know.
But those flows have me worried. Air temps need to stay low.

According to DGIF when I expressed concerns - 75 degrees is stress time. 80 degress is belly up.  They also think the fish move up or downstream to deeper holes and areas of relatively cooler temps so short term spike of 80 degrees on the gauge does not necessarily mean it is over

With fall and cooler temps coming on we have probably once again dodged the bullet. Hopefully they will soon start scheduled generation and we can all enjoy cooler water. Pray for rain because Philpott lake levels are down which means even with the turbine fixed there won't be much water to send downstream.

Al

This just in as of 10 minutes ago

We are going to stop the station service unit testing this afternoon, and through the long weekend.
During this period of time, we will make releases through the sluice gate only - anticipating ~115 cfs beginning this afternoon and continuing until at least Tuesday.

ryguy

Hope there's rain and cooler temps on the way.  Watching this tropical weather for early next week, might be just what's needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al

The latest ..................  note that they are well aware of the risk of a fish kill and are trying to make sure it does not happen on their watch.

"We are going to begin testing the station service unit today - 24/7, like we did last week.
Expect similar releases this week from Philpott as experienced last week.
I will notify this distribution if the plan changes, and when I know a schedule for unit 1 testing.

In the meantime, we will continue watching temps below Philpott"

Al

The latest - Surf will be up this afternoon. Looks like they are close to getting back to a normal schedule.

"Looks like we may be able to begin full load testing on unit 1 today. With that, expect more water on the Smith for longer period of time today.

With no specific schedule, we anticipate a few hours of close to 600 cfs this afternoon.

I will send another email out this afternoon by close of business to let you know what to expect tomorrow and the weekend (to be determined by the progress of the testing today)."

Al

This just came in - back to wadable levels for the weekend.

"Unit 1 testing has stopped for today.

Station service unit and low flow valve releases will remain through the weekend. Anticipate a release near 70 cfs for the next 3 days.

I will let everyone know the plans for testing next week when I know, and try to keep everyone as informed about fluctuations in Smith River flows as possible."

IFStultz

Did they test or sluice today? The water was up to 800cfs at one point and it's muddy. Weird unless the lake is turning over?

Dougfish

Yesterday and today, they sent a slug downstream mid-day. Guess it was a test?
Drawing from a muddy layer? The generator pulls from a higher level than the sluice gates (which was nasty enough).  b';
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

22midge

any idea what they may be doing tomorrow........?
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Dougfish

These tests are not announced.
Be aware!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

Don't know why it was muddy or why it raised the water temp 9 degrees!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

IFStultz

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 31, 2017, 18:17:52 PM
Don't know why it was muddy or why it raised the water temp 9 degrees!
Strange right? Hope this isn't gonna become normal when they start generating again.

Dougfish

The lake is like a layer cake. We've been slow to work through the layers.
At 600+ cfs we'll work through them faster. (If they actually get shit working.)
What does a two year stagnant lake look like? Who knows.
The roller coaster continues.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

DRIFTS

What's the dydimo stuff looking like after all this time of warmer water, better?  0:0
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave