Philpott / Smith River Planned Releases

Started by Al, May 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

The latest ........................

"We are reducing releases from Philpott to day from ~220 cfs to ~160 cfs. (going to a 1/4 ft sluice setting)
(~110 cfs thru sluice + ~30 cfs thru low flow valve + ~15 cfs thru bypass valve)

Also, be aware of frequent fluctuations in the releases this week and next, as we test the station service unit (~30 cfs fluctuation) and Unit 1 (potentially ~600 cfs fluctuation). There is no set schedule for these testing releases, but they will be short period tests. Once we begin running the tests for longer periods (such as overnight or for most of the day), then we will try to provide a better estimate of the timing"

Al

The latest as of today ............. Looks like they ran into a few snags last week. If you do fish stay aware of your surroundings. I'd suggest staying where there is easy "in & out" because if you get caught in one of their test cycles and have to get out on the wrong side it will be a long walk back to your vehicle.

To all,  We are currently releasing ~170 cfs from Philpott.

We anticipated testing Unit 1 intermittently throughout the week. However, we will not be testing unit 1 until next week (26-Sep). However, testing on the station service unit is planned this week. There is no set schedule for these testing releases. Anticipate intermittent fluctuations of about +/- 30 cfs throughout the week.

Woolly Bugger

We fished it the other day when they were testing the station unit.. that added 30 cfs wasn't very noticeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

creakycane

Way down today at Philpott Dam release.  95 cfs.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: creakycane on September 27, 2017, 08:54:45 AM
Way down today at Philpott Dam release.  95 cfs.

That means they will be testing/running the one operational unit soon! Be careful out there!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

We had 25+ guests on the river. Srtu requested.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on September 27, 2017, 18:39:55 PM

Did it fish well??

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

I'll leave final comment for Al and Streamer eater. But from comments I've received from others, about the same. Meh.
What was interesting, and alarming, was that the temp went to 70 degrees at Philpott in 10 hours. Wow. Was it the reduced flow, or the new level the low flow  valve and house generator pull from?
It went back down when they bumped it back up.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

creakycane

Interesting that it peaked in Bassett at  only 66F with the Town Creek water mixed in. 

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 28, 2017, 01:45:14 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on September 27, 2017, 18:39:55 PM

Did it fish well??

My 3 guests caught 26 fish total between trestle pool and the mirror plant. Nothing over 13", but that is to be expected for that section of river. Action was good on attractor type flies. The water cleaned up quite a bit in the afternoon. The new low flow valve must be higher or something and pulling warmer water, because it was very clear compared to the brown junk out of the sluice gates.

Al

The latest as of this morning...........

We are expecting fairly steady flows this week from Philpott.

We are testing the station service unit 24/7 this week, so releases should be on the order of 90 cfs, through the low flow valve and the station service testing. If there are reductions in flow, they should be brief.

I will keep everyone on this list posted if things change and when a decision is made regarding flows through the weekend and next week.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on October 03, 2017, 15:16:44 PM
The latest as of this morning...........

We are expecting fairly steady flows this week from Philpott.

We are testing the station service unit 24/7 this week, so releases should be on the order of 90 cfs, through the low flow valve and the station service testing. If there are reductions in flow, they should be brief.

I will keep everyone on this list posted if things change and when a decision is made regarding flows through the weekend and next week.

that'll make for some skinny water downstream
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Skinny warm water. Yiles!

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Dougfish

Vikes!

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

was that temp spike due to the TU minimum flow day?
me -There's a season?