News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Going West

Started by billythreetimes, April 21, 2017, 09:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billythreetimes

Hey Dudes,

Figured I'd give this a shot, the wife and I will be heading west for the first time next month (0514-0521) and I'd like to get into some fish. We will be staying in Driggs, ID but plan on hanging out around Jackson Hole and probably head into Montana at some point. I don't have super high expectations for wade fishing because of the snow melt, and I doubt I can convince my wife it's a good idea to pay for a float trip. I'm having a hard time finding info on fishing the areas we will be in and have zero contacts, so that's why I'm pitching this to you fellers.

Based on where we will be, I'm thinking my best option is the lower south fork of the Snake. Is it going to be worth a shit trying to fish this area without a guide?

benben reincarnated

No.  Cancel the trip.

billythreetimes

sanjuanwormhatch

I can probably give you the most spot on intel you're going to get this side of the miss'ippi come may 8th or so.  That being said, you haven't done much to earn it.  You have about three weeks.

Beetle

South Fork will be ripping in May.   You can expect up to 33,000 CFS or higher.    If you can get in the side channels it's ok but you better be careful.   

Better option is go fish the Teton.    Get there early.

You can fish the Firehole but be prepared for snow.   Lamarr or Soda Butte too.

billythreetimes

Quote from: Beetle on April 21, 2017, 11:10:26 AM
South Fork will be ripping in May.   You can expect up to 33,000 CFS or higher.    If you can get in the side channels it's ok but you better be careful.   

Better option is go fish the Teton.    Get there early.

You can fish the Firehole but be prepared for snow.   Lamarr or Soda Butte too.

Kinda what I figured looking at numbers. I had plans on checking out the Teton, so I'll give that a shot. Thanks Beetle!

IFStultz

Possibly Salmonflies on Henry's Fork. How far is Driggs from Ashton/Island Park? YNP will be closed to fishing til Memorial Day weekend so that's out. I'll be there from May 20-28th. If you can swing $150 rent a boat from Miller drift boats and float it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billythreetimes

Quote from: IFStultz on April 26, 2017, 13:08:12 PM
Possibly Salmonflies on Henry's Fork. How far is Driggs from Ashton/Island Park? YNP will be closed to fishing til Memorial Day weekend so that's out. I'll be there from May 20-28th. If you can swing $150 rent a boat from Miller drift boats and float it.

About an hour to both. I did notice the season dates for YNP, seems like we are a week early for a lot of things. $150 is reasonable so I might consider it. Thanks dude

IFStultz

Quote from: billythreetimes on April 27, 2017, 08:23:46 AM

About an hour to both. I did notice the season dates for YNP, seems like we are a week early for a lot of things. $150 is reasonable so I might consider it. Thanks dude

It should be wadeable too. Henry's Fork doesn't get affected by runoff (tailwater) as bad as other rivers out there.

billythreetimes

Quote from: IFStultz on April 27, 2017, 08:31:10 AM
Quote from: billythreetimes on April 27, 2017, 08:23:46 AM

It should be wadeable too. Henry's Fork doesn't get affected by runoff (tailwater) as bad as other rivers out there.

Good to know. This whole runoff deal and big water is something new to me, but I'm going to try and giver hell one way or another. Thanks again buddy!

twinbridges

You are very close to Island Park and the Henry's Fork.  Give it a go.  Great fly shop just above Harriman Ranch on the river.  Very nice restaurant there as well in the shop.  They also have lodging.

Rhody

Henry's Fork at Bonefish Flats is nirvana, if there are risers. Wood Rd. #16 can be nice as well, talk to the folks at either Trouthunters or Henry's Fork Anglers.

Just read a good report on risers right behind the shop/restaurant Twin Bridges was telling you about...
http://www.trouthunt.com/blog/view/10623

Both are good shops, nice folks, good grub at Trouthunters, might want to check their hours early in the season.

Pictures please
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

billythreetimes

Trouthunters was definitely on my list of shops to check out while there, but will check out Henry's Fork Anglers as well as it looks like both shops should be open. Thanks for the article and info twinbridges and Rhody. A proper TR will follow as soon as we make it back.

Right under two weeks away, so the stoke is high.

sanjuanwormhatch

worldcast is solid.

billythreetimes

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on May 01, 2017, 09:10:57 AM
worldcast is solid.
Noted. I'll check those homies out as well.