The season starts in Twin Bridges

Started by twinbridges, April 18, 2017, 18:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aka

Quote from: jwgnc on April 21, 2017, 07:30:13 AM
Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on April 19, 2017, 12:38:49 PM
I don't know much about 'tana but I'm pretty sure the Jefferson and Big Hole are big, floating type rivers.  Have you hit any smaller water in the area?  What's it look like?

My favorite to wade is the three dollar bridge area of the Madison.  Stop in at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone first.

Three dollar is a good road side spot for sure. Plenty of big fish and fast current. Stop at Driftwaters and get a burger and beer after fishing and say hey to Jerry for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhody

Bushmills on your porch is one of the finer things in life!!

Glad to hear of all of the good times, maybe..........in the spring, in the fall for sure!
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

twinbridges

Rowed a couple of buddies on the Big Hole from Melrose down to Brownes Bridge.  The river is in great condition at 1600 cvs with that familiar tea stain color with great visibility.  Fishing was slow!  Not sure why really,  just not happening yet.  It will only make those buster days more memorable.

Still cold but weather is really going to warm up at the end of the week.  Wonder if this is the beginning of run off.  Mountain snowpack is still growing which is great.  Hopefully the warm spell will pass quickly so we can keep the snow hard and deep in the mountains.  Great to be rowing my boat again.

My old Dynalight oars have taken a beating over the years.  Rhody and I sure put some dings in them one day!  Anyway, guide buddy from Washington showed up in Twin with some new Pro Lok oars and they are incredible.  Shafts are graphite and blades carbon fiber and weigh about 3 pounds a side.  They have some power flex model model that load like a fly rod.  Can't wait for them to arrive.

Rhody

Everybody I have talked to that has rowed those Pro-Loks has nothing but great things to say about them, I'll bet you will like em.

Those Dynalights are good sticks, I know I have wedged em to flex more than once!

Having a Bushmills in your honor this evening!
J.M.

sanjuanwormhatch

I may be timing my trip perfectly.  Warmer weather right before run off.

twinbridges

Sorry for the lack of posts.   Fished below the ruby dam at vigilante last week and very good.  Flow about 250 and caught 4 nice trout with the biggest this big ole 21 inch bow.  I was shocked.

Old news.  Big Hole just slowly coming down from 6,000 cvs and Jeff at 7,000 so my little row boat and mostly everyone else is on the trailer for a few days.

Went up to Wisdom which is wau up the Bi Hole Valley today about 100 miles above Twin and a few floaters.  Incredible part of our world.  Marybe next week we. An get back on the rivers.  Today, some snow, some ice pellets and some rain.  And some sun.  Take what you get and be happy.

IFStultz

Love that area up around Wisdom.

twinbridges

Had a very nice afternoon at Vigilante below the Ruby Resevoir with 3 above 18 and a solid 20 plus bow.

But now the rivers are blown out with the Big Hole just getting down from 7,000 cvs to about 5100.  Don't know if it will keep coming down or not.  Snow forecast tonigh and some rain through Friday.  It will come down but it is a waiting game.  A few are floating the Beaverhead but not heard reports and was up near Wisdom yesterday and a few floaters up by Fish Trap.  Water is cold up there but clarity was fine.

About ready for the weather to break so we can get some rhythm going.

twinbridges

Was over at the Stonefly tonight as the new chef is in town and was invited to his first dinner with the guides.  Great food!

One of the guides fished the Beav today, pipe organ to Grasshopper.  Said it fished pretty well.  The water up from the dam opens this when'd.  I think as the rivers settle now maybe will fish Tuesday!

Mostly snowed all day but think we are done with it.  Colder temps started to slow the rivers down.

Rhody

Sounds like the start to a great summer, I shall try to see you in Oct. this year, will be on Madison first week in Oct.
Gonna try to go to BC for summer trip out west, looking for spousal approval!

J.M.

twinbridges

We fished East Bank to Jerry Creek two days ago.  Beautiful day with river at about 3,000 cfs with great clarity for the Big Hole.  It was tough fishing.  Managed a nice Brooke, a very small bow, a smallish white fish and a nice brown.  That was it. 

Looks like the rivers are getting ready for some flow growing soon with warmer weather and then maybe it will be done and the fishing will get cranked up!

twinbridges

Well, runoff is here.  Big Hole falling from 8,000 cfs.   But it will fall and we will catch fish.  Mostly hanging out now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twinbridges

Well just as I expected!  Big Hole went to 9000 and is coming down fast to 5000 cfs.   Salmon flies are happening if you can find some quiet water and I have to go to Charlotte for the week.

Good news, rivers should be great when I get back but alas will miss the big Bugs!

buddy_25_99

I will be out that way Sunday for a week at stonefly pretty excited!!

Dee-Vo

Quote from: buddy_25_99 on July 07, 2017, 14:48:18 PM
I will be out that way Sunday for a week at stonefly pretty excited!!

Lucky bastard.