News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Going West

Started by billythreetimes, April 21, 2017, 09:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFStultz

When we were there mid May last year the restaurant at trouthunters was only serving guests until Memorial Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billythreetimes

Quote from: IFStultz on May 02, 2017, 10:19:13 AM
When we were there mid May last year the restaurant at trouthunters was only serving guests until Memorial Day.

Like they are closing after Memorial Day? If that's the case then we should be good since we will be there a week before.

IFStultz

Quote from: billythreetimes on May 03, 2017, 07:32:07 AM

Like they are closing after Memorial Day? If that's the case then we should be good since we will be there a week before.
No the restaurant wouldn't serve you unless you were staying there. Then they opened to everyone Memorial Day weekend.

billythreetimes

Quote from: IFStultz on May 03, 2017, 07:43:19 AM
Quote from: billythreetimes on May 03, 2017, 07:32:07 AM

No the restaurant wouldn't serve you unless you were staying there. Then they opened to everyone Memorial Day weekend.

Ahh, gotcha. Misinterpreted. I'll give it a shot, we planned to go to Trouthunters anyway, so the restaurant was just a bonus. Thanks for letting me know though.

sanjuanwormhatch

You are going to have a helluva time finding fishable water. My advice would be to head north where the rivers are High but clear and float.  Virtually everything east and west of the pass is blown and runoff is about to start in earnest.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on May 12, 2017, 05:02:45 AM
You are going to have a helluva time finding fishable water. My advice would be to head north where the rivers are High but clear and float.  Virtually everything east and west of the pass is blown and runoff is about to start in earnest.

are you back already?

sanjuanwormhatch

Back already.  Essentially a long weekend trip made even longer because I used Southwest points and flew into Utah requiring a lot of driving. 

IFStultz

Looks like the Fork is full of salmonfly nymphs right now. Hope you got on a few while you were there. I'm typing this on a plane heading  to SLC and then Ashton.

sanjuanwormhatch

We were supposed to float henry's one day but cancelled due to lousy reports.  Did find some fishable water in that area though.  Beautiful part of the world.

billythreetimes

Just got back, when I get around to unloading some pictures I'll do a proper TR. I fished the first couple days in GTNP and Teton Creek around Driggs with not much luck. We had a little snow and a lot of wind last Wednesday and Thursday, so we broke down and booked a float through WorldCast on the Fork on Friday. Salmonfly nymphs all day resulted in a few decent bows, but no butter. Still a badass time overall. 10/10 would fish again.

Jackson; although fun, is a tourist deathtrap. Idaho is where it's at and it makes me want to do stupid things like sell all my shit and move there ASAP.

sanjuanwormhatch

I'm not quite ready to totally write off Jackson but yes it is like Disney land for cowboy loving Asians.  D.O.G. burritos however make me want to keep it.  Conveniently they are also available at Pass Gas in Wilson so you don't have to brave the Jackson traffic.

billythreetimes

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on May 23, 2017, 09:01:12 AM
I'm not quite ready to totally write off Jackson but yes it is like Disney land for cowboy loving Asians.  D.O.G. burritos however make me want to keep it.  Conveniently they are also available at Pass Gas in Wilson so you don't have to brave the Jackson traffic.

I was being rather dramatic. Snake River Brewing, Cowboy Coffee, and Snake River Angler, were all good (of the places we went in JH). We went to Million Dollar Cowboy Bar for the experience, and an experience was all it was. We just enjoyed the Victor/Driggs area more because it was a little more low key but still enough to keep us occupied for the week.

IFStultz

I'm in Ashton now and we're still waiting on the fish to start taking dries but we've been doing pretty well with rubber legs late in the day. Floated yesterday and gonna float everyday til Thursday. Rented from Miller drift boats which I highly suggest. I'd take the Idaho side over Jackson all day.

billythreetimes

Quote from: IFStultz on May 23, 2017, 11:26:36 AM
I'm in Ashton now and we're still waiting on the fish to start taking dries but we've been doing pretty well with rubber legs late in the day. Floated yesterday and gonna float everyday til Thursday. Rented from Miller drift boats which I highly suggest. I'd take the Idaho side over Jackson all day.

We passed through Ashton on several occasions and I saw the rental place you were talking about. I considered it, but I don't trust my rowing abilities enough to go for it. Good luck duder. If you're looking for a nicer dinner and happen to be near Driggs, head to Forage. We went twice and both times were excellent.

sanjuanwormhatch

Brewpub is a must stop.  I probably drank more pakos my first hour in town than I drink beers in any other given week.