News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Shadtastic!

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 15, 2017, 08:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

2017 – 35

itieuglyflies sent an update, "be at the ramp and 5:45", up at 4:30, I headed off to breakfast, the local hardee's was to open at five! The lights came on but nobody was home so, I hit road and stopped at another spot – driver thru only! Oh well, I'll be a bit early, I thought. I took the exit and pulled in behind two towed boats. That looks like Fred! Then I ran through some straw as it blew across the road. Weird, I was thinking just as the blue lights of a cop car came racing up behind. He did a u-turn and headed back out to the interstate. I pulled into the ramp right behind Fred and we the second boat to launch. Fred told me about a harrowing experience on the ride in. Bales of hay had fallen off a truck and in the predawn darkness he had run through several wads of hay. Scary but no damage. I figured, that cop was going to help with that situation... 

We anchored up at 5:49 and waited a bit before the catching began. itieuglyflies has this fishery dialed in. He was catching about two or three to one on me. By nine I had about 20 to the boat and itieuglyflies might probably had 50! Many other boats appeared all around us with several anchoring is so close you could easily have dropped a fly in their boat! The wind was blowing from the east and the boats were all swinging around on the slack tide. Of all the boats, and we counted as many as 25, we were catching and the others were fishing.

The city lights

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Predawn coffee

Many fish were caught before the sun broke the horizon

I took a few pics of them

Fun size fish.

Some of the boats in this urban setting. A number of truckers tooted their horn in approval as they passed over on I-95.

10 AM beer break!

It was crowded for Thursday!

Things finally began to slow way way down and we moved around a bit, found many perch hotspots.

The sun had finally come out in full force and the wind had died down, we'd been on the water for about eight hours. The day was starting to take its toll on us. We anchored up in one last spot where Fred was sure that we could find an American. I was cutting out wind knots and Fred asked about my leader. "12 lb," I said. "No, you should be using 6," he exclaimed, "you'll catch way more and that is probably why I was catching more than you." I tied on the lighter tipped and caught a hickory or two and then boom, my first American shad, not a big one but robust enough.

We called it a day at that point and were at the ramp around four.

After unloading and saying goodbye, we drove away and my thoughts turned to the Stone Brewery just a few miles away. I would be remiss if I didn't stop by for a look see.

It was pretty awesome!

And so ends another day...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

You suck.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

itieuglyflies

Yes, urban fishing can be fun even with dodging ( and hitting) bales of hay on interstate 95, jerks that don't know how to launch a boat,jerks that try to anchor exactly where you are casting, too many boats, a partner that insisted on getting to the river way to early. The fun part...... expecting to catch at least 100 Hickory Shad on flies, a chance at an American Shad or two( protected and must be released), good striper fishing after the Shad leave, big flathead catfish that eat flies, carp fishing during the "mulberry hatch" and good folks to fish with..Woolly included.

Onslow

croaker

Looks like a good urn!
Other than hay bales in the the road and idiots in (the other) boats.

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 15, 2017, 08:55:43 AM

We anchored up in one last spot where Fred was sure that we could find an American. I was cutting out wind knots and Fred asked about my leader. "12 lb," I said. "No, you should be using 6," he exclaimed, "you'll catch way more and that is probably why I was catching more than you." I tied on the lighter tipped and caught a hickory or two and then boom, my first American shad, not a big one but robust enough.

This ^^^ is true.  8# is high as I go when Shad fishing.  4 - 6# is more better.  Tying your fly on with a loop knot also will get bit more.

'c;
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

ryguy

Nice! We lived about 2 blocks from there a few years back.  Fished around there once during the shad run.  As always, a lot of boats.  Did anyone catch a Striper?  I know the odds are slim of seeing one, but there is a sign nearby describing the Sturgeon migration.  Always thought it would be cool to see one.

95 is a rough road.  That area through downtown is particularly bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

@ryguy , no stripers, but as we were taking out there were others putting in to fish for the stripers in the evening on into the night!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

ryguy

Might have to test that out one day after work...

JMiller

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Dougfish

Damn you.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Stone-Man

Nice trip guys.
How do you like to cook (prepare) shad  ???

JT

itieuglyflies

With all the bones and a flavor that I don't really care for, I release all but two or three females  that I keep each year for the roe. Shad roe is considered by many as a delicacy and I do enjoy it wrapped in bacon and baked , plus a meal or two with the roe mixed with scrambled eggs. It is an acquired taste!

We have another week or so of catching......so I need to get back on the river