Boa System vs Boot Laces

Started by Dee-Vo, March 14, 2017, 11:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Funny, I looked hard at those earlier.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Listen to driver.  Laces. Go Vibram.  Install cleats.  Hike in them.  Be happy.  I am a completely klutz and I haven't died yet  in Vibram.  Plus, not having to hike in wading boots means more room for summer sausage and coffee.

BrookieHunter

I was shopping for new boots last week and one of the salesman told me to avoid the Boa system for all the reasons already mentioned. He said they break all the time and are a son of a bitch to fix.

Dee-Vo

At this point the Boa has been ruled out for this purchase. I'm thinking I may go Vibram for more traction outside of the creek. I may go with one of the lighter models, however. Will see how this goes.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: benben reincarnated on March 14, 2017, 11:46:45 AM
Send your Simms boots back to Simms.  I just sent my vapor boots back to them a week ago for the seam separation issue.  Good timing, you all can thank me for this cold snap.

I'm ordering a pair of these with Vibram sole. Looking forward to seeing how the non-felt handles the creeks. Hiking in and out has to be much better without felt. This pair really gets my attention because of the really light weight. We shall see how they work out.

Dee-Vo

Actually, no, I'm going top end. Simms Guide Boot G3. I want to truly see if the most expensive ones outlast the mid-priced ones.

driver

Quote from: Dee-Vo on June 06, 2017, 20:40:31 PM
Actually, no, I'm going top end. Simms Guide Boot G3. I want to truly see if the most expensive ones outlast the mid-priced ones.
I will warn you. They are heavy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

Quote from: driver on June 06, 2017, 20:42:02 PM

Stop making it harder.

I don't know what to buy.

Dee-Doodle Duck

Quote from: driver on June 06, 2017, 20:42:02 PM

How recent is that opinion based on?  I only ask because I know they used to be real heavy and that was a real turn-off to me or else I would have bought them.  Then about 2 or 3 years ago they changed the design (right about the time the Vapor boots debuted), and they claimed the G3s to be significantly lighter than the previous generations.  I still didn't buy them because I feared that either they weren't as light as they were purported to be, or with the weight savings came a decrease in durability/longevity.  I am curious for feedback on the latest generation.

Dee-Vo, go ahead and get those G3s, if for no other reason than so you can field test them and provide some feedback.   ;D

driver

I bought the G3s right when they came out with the new design.

I've worn the hell out of em. Finally had to to replace the laces this spring. The sole is still attached. Still has tread, no rips or tears. The toe guard has seperated on one of em  but some Gorilla glie will fix that. They have held up extremely well, for the hell I put them through.

But they are heavy, especially when full of water. But the extra ankle support is very helpful. And once I got used to them, I didn't notice the weight. think it was been a bit more than 2 years.

Would i buy them again? Yes. Especially if I can get another year out of them.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

BrookieHunter

I purchased a pair of simms g3 boots back about February and have worn them on about 15 trips now, no issues with the weight so far. Felt bottoms y;
The neoprene inside is super comfy too!!

Dee-Vo

G3 Guide Boots have been ordered. It's official.

Dee-Vo

Bout damned time.

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Dee-Vo