Boa System vs Boot Laces

Started by Dee-Vo, March 14, 2017, 11:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Here I am shy of 2 years with a pair of Simms Freestones. Seams are busted out in multiple locations. Felt is worn so badly that it's just hard and not "felty" at all any longer. Plans to purchase another pair are in the works. I'm unsure of the durability and ease of replacement of the boa type systems. My gut tells me to pick up another pair of boots with the normal laces, but I'm interested in the newer version of lacing up as well.

Experiences?

I'm leaning toward one of the more pricey pairs of boots this time in hopes that it'll last longer than the other two pairs that I've killed in 1-2 years each. I'm also thinking of rubber soles this go around versus felt for hiking ability.

benben reincarnated

Send your Simms boots back to Simms.  I just sent my vapor boots back to them a week ago for the seam separation issue.  Good timing, you all can thank me for this cold snap.

Dougfish

Ahhh, the endless boot thread/search.

I probably am the king of killing boots.
May 2015:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dead Freestones. About a year. Seams split, felt jettisoned.
Their cheap Cabelas replacement.
Dead by April 2016.
Replaced by new Sims Freestones.
Stiff uppers kill my ankles, but they are going to make it past one year.

Rubber? I'd die. BOA? No fucking clue. But I'm sure I'd break it.
Good luck.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

Got a pair of Simms G3 Guides. Made of actual leather so they aren't  to stiff. Going on 3 years. Rubber sole to boot.

With the kind of fishing you do I would go rubber. I only wear felt for big water that gets lots of sunlight. And don't go BOA, if that shit breaks 3 miles in, you're fucked. You can splice a shoe string.

Dee-Vo

I may send them back to Simms. I won't have any boot to fish in if I do this. I may purchase a new pair to use, and then have my other older pair also, if they replace or repair them for me. 

I know this is an ongoing discussion. A decent pair of boots is all I'm after. Something that'll last.....over a year or two.

Driver - The G3 is what I'm considering mostly as it looks to be the best without going boa. The backcountry is no place for broken shit, and that's why I'm afraid of that boa system. I know the G3 is heavier, but I think I'm willing to take the added weight. I've contemplated hiking in using a pair of regular non-wading boots, but then there is just something more to carry in and out and keep up with in my pack.

Woolly Bugger

You can use a weavers knot or reef knot (square) to deal with broken laces. Broken BOA = FUBAR
Pro-tip:
I usually don't in tie my laces, just  put them in the lugs pulling and twisting to get them in place no need to tie and untie then.

http://www.animatedknots.com/images/weavers_knot.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

driver

I think you could goto the moon with those. Or at least you should be able to what they cost.

Dee-Vo

No shit. Curious as to whether they're only more expensive because of the name brand or true quality reflection. I've heard Patagonia makes the good shit. I don't own any of the fishing gear by them so I'm not in the know. Their jackets are warm as hell though.

Woolly Bugger

Holy crap! Too damn expensive boots to go with too damn expensive waders!!! This shit is getting out of hand!!!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

They're only fiddy more than Simms Guides. Jus saying.
Those aluminum bars are stupid.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

Quit using wading boots for hiking boots!  By a decent daypack, and stuff some hiking boots and dry socks in there.  It is a safer way to travel. 

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Onslow on March 14, 2017, 19:49:36 PM
Quit using wading boots for hiking boots!  By a decent daypack, and stuff some hiking boots and dry socks in there.  It is a safer way to travel.

This is what I'm contemplating on. It's kind of why I wanna get a pair that I can use for both hiking and wading. I always keep a pair of dry socks in my pack regardless.

Woolly Bugger

Back I the days of neoprene I would pack waders and boots into the gorges

me -There's a season?

Dee-Vo

@buddy_25_99  on here that I fish with has these. He loves them. They offer felt and rubber soles for grip on the banks and hiking, and you can add studs on top of the felt and rubber. Lightest weight boots that I've found yet. I don't think they'd hold up like the guide boots, but they'd be perfect for an all-around boot.

https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/wading-boots/intruder-boot-felt.html