Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Another one down.

You cannot view this attachment.

trout-r-us

Another step down the rabbit hole of organized religion.

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Dougfish

Welcome to Al-Mutanabbi Street the 'Book Market of Baghdad', where books remain in the street at night because Iraqis say:

"The reader does not steal and the thief does not read."

https://twitter.com/BaytAlFann/status/1606227459350855682?t=CiRiDQHz8ZkceM0HRc3IRg&s=19
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

trout-r-us

"It is not the past that matters, but the future"
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

From headwaters;

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Should be required reading for all those in drug court 
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dee-Vo

Meh.

Woolly Bugger

Just pre-ordered this one -- saw it on Southern Culture of the Fly's insta...

The brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) is an iconic species among fly anglers and cold-water conservationists in eastern North America. This fish registers as a powerful symbol for its beauty and its imagery in art and literature. Its presence also tells us a great deal about the health of the larger environment. When an angler has a brook trout in hand, there is confidence that the water is close to pristine. Besides being an important indicator species, the brook trout, with its gold and reddish markings and its camouflaged green and black back, is one of the most beautiful freshwater fish in North America. And beyond the beauty of the fish itself, the environment in which it is found is also part of its past and present appeal. To fish for brook trout is often to fish in the last remote and rugged landscapes in the East, "fishscapes" that have not been polluted by stocking trucks that dump nonnative brown and rainbow trout in most of the East's accessible cold waterways.

Searching for Home Waters is part science, part environmental history, and part personal journey of the author, Michael K. Steinberg, and those he interviewed during his travels. The work takes a broad perspective that examines the status of brook trout in the eastern United States, employing a "landscape" approach. In other words, brook trout do not exist in a vacuum; they are impacted by logging, agriculture, fishing policies, suburban development, mining, air pollution, and climate change. Thus, while the book focuses specifically on the status and management of the brook trout―from Georgia to Labrador―it also tells the larger story of the status of the eastern environment. As a "pilgrimage," this book is also a journey of the heart and contains Steinberg's personal reflections on his relationship with the brook trout and its geography.
me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

"Instinct is a marvellous thing," mused Poirot. "It can neither be explained nor ignored."

― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

First of her mysteries I've figured out before the end. Or just a lucky guess.

― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

Another sad reminder of white supremacy and hatred.

.You cannot view this attachment.

― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

If preferred, the Gates work is available on PBS Passport as a 4 part series.

― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

"The people who do us most harm are the people who shield us from reality."
― Agatha Christie, Five Little Pigs

― Heraclitus

Dee-Vo

Quite the story, really. And so old. A hell of an imagination for a lady living in those times.

trout-r-us

A beautiful true story of friendship, love, kindness, life, and death.

"Don't let go too soon, but don't hold on too long."

― Heraclitus