Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCsporksman

In A Far Country

Just read this again, pretty baller all around true AK story

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dougfish

Lots of great suggestions, fellars. Bravo!

I owe you some feedback and previews.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Appalachia. Meh. More of a masters thesis than a good book. Some good points, but not a good read.

Brook trout. Whew, long read. Learned alot though. Who would have thought that Long Island was a hot spot for brookies? Salters still there today. I was skipping over parts of some later chapters on Canadian waters when it was repititive. This book strengthened the premise that human beings suck.

Bryson's At Home is a re-read. Everything he has written is gold. I've read every one of his books 2 or more times. This one looks at the evolution of our residences. The rooms. The lighting, the plumbing, the cooking. Everything. And he makes it all so entertaining and educational at the same time.

The Feather Thief and War on Peace are my beach books. Can't wait.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Beetle

Podcast Alert:

This American Life just did one on the Feather Thief.    Podcast #654

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/654/the-feather-heist

itieuglyflies

Just read Feather Thief last week ( like Woolly I could not put it down). Stumbled on the This American Life segment about this true story and they even had interviews with the author and some of the main characters in the book. All fly tiers should enjoy this fascinating read.

BRFFF

Back in the good ole days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougfish

As reported before, The Feather Thief was a very good read. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Dee-Vo

Finished another King novel, "Carrie". Much better than the movie, as usual.

Now, back to another non-fiction work.

Decisions, decisions.

Dee-Vo

Just finished "The Catcher in the Rye". I'd heard lots about it over the years and figured what the hey.

I read it in 3 days. Not sure what the big deal with that book is? Sort of oddly written, maybe it's just me.

It does use the word, "goddam", more than any movie or piece of literature I've ever been involved with.

Dee-Vo

This was one of the better books I've read in a good while. Finished it up this morning. I'll be picking up more of his work.

I enjoyed the story as much as I enjoyed the bits and pieces of history and factual enlightenment that is scattered throughout. An eye-opener.

Now, next on my reading agenda: King's "'Salem's Lot", and Rohrig's "Lost on the Appalachian Trail". I'm swinging by the book store this evening to pick these up.

Dougfish

Everything Bryson is gold. Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Dougfish on November 14, 2018, 14:14:45 PM
Everything Bryson is gold. Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I remember you making that statement some time ago. I'll definitely be looking into more of his work. The one I just finished there, it actually had some funny stretches. I laughed out loud (yeah, lol) several times. Enjoyed it big time.

Dougfish

And you learn alot with the chuckles...Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Dee-Vo

Those portions were worth reading the book for. Lots of things highlighted and brought to attention in a brief but clearly comprehensible, effective way.

When speaking about the mountains and how they will eventually come and go — stopping and considering topics of that nature puts me in a trance.

How we perceive time in our little, blink of an eye lifetimes versus the actual immense, unfathomable measure of the full scope of the world's history can be hilarious.

Yallerhammer

Bill Bryson is a good writer, but I just can't like anybody who would throw away Little Debbies.  :o
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

Finished up Kyle Rohrig's "Lost on the Appalachian Trail" earlier this evening."

Thoroughly enjoyed the detailed accounts of his adventure while thru-hiking the entire trail. I'd love to try and do something like that even if I had to do it in pieces.