News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

This book is for Muddy. He needs instructions.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dougfish

Quote from: Phil on February 15, 2018, 11:52:34 AM
I want to read that brook trout book. Would like to read your review first, Doug.

379 pages.  :o
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

Quote from: Phil on February 16, 2018, 09:00:59 AM
This book is for Muddy. He needs instructions.

That book is dumb AF.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: billythreetimes on April 28, 2017, 08:57:16 AM
Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on April 28, 2017, 08:21:06 AM
Quote from: billythreetimes on April 28, 2017, 07:10:59 AM
Quote from: tomato can on April 28, 2017, 05:37:11 AM
Anything by McCarthy is superlative.  My favorite is the Orchard Keeper and if you want to laugh out loud like a hyena check out his book "Suttree".

Glad to see this. I've been wanting to get into McCarthy, but always get tied up in something else.

Currently finishing up Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life by William Finnegan and re-reading Dharma Bums while in search of some sort of inspiration.

Dharma Bums is Kerouac for high school freshmen.  Give Desolation Angels a spin if you're man enough.

Will. Interested in The Tower, let me know how that one is.

I am finally getting around to reading this.  It's actually pretty interesting.  As suspected it is very first world problems but raises some interesting questions about "outdoor" ethics.

Aka

Quote from: Dougfish on July 19, 2017, 11:26:54 AM
Quote from: rbphoto on July 18, 2017, 13:59:22 PM

I've met @Dougfish 's wife and she is wonderful.  She let's him fish, drink beer and spend time with the likes of all of us here.

Strike 1 for @Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Yeah, I do have a pretty sweet gig.  -0-

I just finished that on a quick trip to Seattle last week. Well written, interesting, not sure how I feel about everything he says but a hell of a story.

Dee-Vo

Finished this earlier this morning. It took me a bit to get into it. Oftentimes, I'd find myself with the book in my lap — my eyes gazing at nothing out a window. Some areas of this book and the author's experiences came as a sucker punch; many things I reflected upon, and even understood a little better after completing this book. I'm glad you guys brought this to the book thread. Enjoyed it.

Now for new material......decisions.

Yallerhammer

Right now, I'm reading Ron Rash's Something Rich and Strange. Very good. Ron Rash is one of my favorite authors.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

natureboy

I started reading Norman Maclean's Young Men and Fire this weekend, it's pretty intense so far.

Dee-Vo

I'm 100+ pages into Stephen King's, "The Stand" — one long book this will be. 1400+ pages if I'm not mistaken.

Phil

Quote from: Dee-Vo on February 19, 2018, 12:58:32 PM
I'm 100+ pages into Stephen King's, "The Stand" — one long book this will be. 1400+ pages if I'm not mistaken.

It's one of King's best imo.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Phil on February 19, 2018, 12:59:51 PM

It's one of King's best imo.

That's what I keep hearing and reading. I've tried a few times to get into it and failed. It's looking a bit more promising this go around. I have the extended and uncut version which is much longer than the original after it was edited down to 800-some pages.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: natureboy on February 19, 2018, 11:50:41 AM
I started reading Norman Maclean's Young Men and Fire this weekend, it's pretty intense so far.

Good one.

Yallerhammer

Another good one. Probably my favorite of King's stuff, and I've read about all of them.

If any of you have never read Ron Rash, pick up one of his collections of short stories, or a novel like The World Made Straight, One Foot in Eden, or any of the others. He is one of the best voices of Appalachia.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on February 15, 2018, 16:57:45 PM
Whelen and Angier (1965) are on their way to my mailbox.

I received 2 copies of this by mistake -- ended up paying for 2 but dirt cheap.

The first person to PM w/ name and mailing address can have it - free and I'll mail next week.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on February 22, 2018, 16:57:06 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on February 15, 2018, 16:57:45 PM
Whelen and Angier (1965) are on their way to my mailbox.

I received 2 copies of this by mistake -- ended up paying for 2 but dirt cheap.

The first person to PM w/ name and mailing address can have it - free and I'll mail next week.
Buy a book on "How to respond to email and other modern communications beyond smoke signals".

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006